Mono push-pull driver PCB - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2011, 08:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayermar View Post
Hi Pete,

do you think it would be possible to apply plate-to-plate (aka Schade) feedback with this driver board?
Yes, though I implemented it a little differently - I have positions for resistors from each driver plate to both B+ and to an off-board connection, which could be to the output plate, or to the unltralinear taps. So you can dial in the amount of feedback by adjusting the ratio of the two resistors.

You can also leave out the input tube and build this as a 2-stage amp. Maybe I will add some provisions to apply gNFB to the other side of the diff amp, as is done in the Baby Huey amp you reference...

Pete
Old 26th December 2011, 08:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso View Post
This little PCB are already for sale ?
Nope, not yet... it will be a few weeks.

Pete
Old 27th December 2011, 10:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
Yes, though I implemented it a little differently - I have positions for resistors from each driver plate to both B+ and to an off-board connection, which could be to the output plate, or to the unltralinear taps. So you can dial in the amount of feedback by adjusting the ratio of the two resistors.

You can also leave out the input tube and build this as a 2-stage amp. Maybe I will add some provisions to apply gNFB to the other side of the diff amp, as is done in the Baby Huey amp you reference...

Pete
That sounds really nice!!!
So, when you say universal, you really DO mean universal.
Sounds like a lot of thoughts went into this board.
I appreciate that.

Thanks!
Martin
Old 27th December 2011, 04:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

OK, I made a few more tweaks, and wrote up a full circuit description on the web site. Please have a look, let me know of any errors you see, or any other requests...

Push-pull driver board

Thanks,
Pete
Old 18th January 2012, 06:18 PM   #15
kegger is offline kegger  United States
diyAudio Member

I've looked over the latest Pete,
(quite nice additions there)

You've certainly gotten my interest.
(should make a great test platform)
Old 19th January 2012, 01:45 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

"or any other requests..."

Would be nice to have some resistor positions, with cathode fdbk nodes, in the two cathodes of the 12GN7 drivers. (Like in the RCA tube handbook for their 50 Watt amplifier). But that likely won't work out with the current self splitting of the driver stage. Could maybe leave room for a small (optional) HV Mosfet Concertina splitter stage in front of the drivers to operate the two driver grids then.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
"or any other requests..."
Ah, a little too late... PCBs are on their way to me now...

I'm in Asia at the moment, but will post more info when I get home this weekend.

Pete
Old 20th January 2012, 03:00 AM   #18
roline is offline roline  United States
diyAudio Member

Watch out for the frog in hot chili oil, The frog is OK a little crunchy, its the chili oil that gets you the next day.... I had a stint in Langfang last yr, quite an experience, no time to chase audio parts.
I like the PCB, 6L6 or 6LB6 family should work great with it. Bias for the screens of the 6LB6's?? It could be done off board zener stack on power supply. Lots of feedback and bias options...I especially like the CCS on the second stage and Schade feedback from the output tubes. I appreciate that your work will open up the realm of tube amps to nubies eager to try their hand at it. I wish that this was available a couple yrs ago when I decided to try the enlightened path of tube amps, it is a great step up to what was available then, looks like a great breadboard to learn from. A far nicer PCB than the toner transfers that I've been making..

Last edited by roline; 20th January 2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:19 PM   #19
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

How's the progress on these PCB's?
Old 3rd February 2012, 08:25 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
How's the progress on these PCB's?
I have the new rev boards (red, or course) in house now... I've been traveling again (just got back) so I have not found time to document it on the web site.

I will try and get at least some info and pictures on the website and get them on eBay this weekend... it might take a little longer for me to actually build up a pair for myself.

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!