Mono push-pull driver PCB - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2012, 01:10 PM   #101
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi, the voltage in my house ranges between 220-228V, that primary would be more appopriate for the transformer? 230 or 240V.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:22 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Hi George, I'm beginning to think that this project will be a lot for me, it seems no one else is interested in the triode-KT88, only think of great powers.

I do lot of questions and you just answer me, so I will store my tubes and to retake my first choice, your SSE ( Just ordered your board ), is very easy to start, instructions and detailed parts list, to many people who built and much more willing to help.

One more question:

I will order the custom transformer, if one day I come back to this board, will have twice the capacity than necessary for the SSE, there may be
a drawback in that ( Vibrations, hum, etc...)?

Thanks.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:42 AM   #103
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso View Post
Hi, the voltage in my house ranges between 220-228V, that primary would be more appopriate for the transformer? 230 or 240V.
230....but since i build my own traffos, i design for 225, our power situation is about the same....
Old 24th November 2012, 01:44 AM   #104
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Wow George, you're playing in major league INDEED. I'm just a small-time player.
OT, i just do not know if George is on first or third or plays shortstop.......
Old 24th November 2012, 04:05 AM   #105
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

I don't know, all I know is that I want a 813 amp now. It's not about power, it's just that gorgeous looking tube. Tired of playing with 6V6's and EL84's... not exciting anymore. Time's up.
Old 24th November 2012, 09:52 AM   #106
diyAudio Moderator

amigo, time to step up your game......
Old 24th November 2012, 09:58 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tony.
Old 24th November 2012, 01:20 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi George, I'm beginning to think that this project will be a lot for me, it seems no one else is interested in the triode-KT88, only think of great powers.
I don't know what your experience and skill level is, but Pete cautioned that this was not intended to be a plug and play board. Some degree of experimentation and tweaking will be needed for any implementation until someone builds something and documents it. I have the equipment to turn knobs and take readings that can be used to provide a starting point for someone to build from. This is what I just attempted to do with the 13GB5's. Maybe Tomlang will document his build such that others can duplicate it, I don't know.

This situation just happened with Pete's big red board, I stuck the 6HJ5's in it and cranked them up, forum member Rknize made an amp using that concept, then several similar amps were built.

I fully intend to test KT88's with this driver board, but my work situation is rather busy right now, so I really can't say when. Odds are that this board will not be powered up again this year after this weekend.

Almost 5 years ago a thread was started discussing 6L6GC's in AB2. Over a 2 year period I assisted a person on the other side of the world to design his amp. He did all the building and testing, I directed and performed a few experiments. There were set backs and successes, and finally he built a pair of very nice mono block amps. I built a breadboard that used trioded KT88's. I have never had the time to build a completed amp. The entire design and build is chronicled here (schematic in post #460):

6L6GC AB2 Amp

Quote:
I will store my tubes and to retake my first choice, your SSE ( Just ordered your board ),
The SSE is a good choice for a first build since it is pretty much plug and play. You can use KT88's in it. One of my SSE's uses KT88's. I will take the board to the post office this morning. They are open on Saturday morning.

Quote:
I don't know, all I know is that I want a 813 amp now. It's not about power, it's just that gorgeous looking tube.
I know that there is another box with more big transmitter tubes in this house somewhere, but I can't find it. I did find a box full of 828's but they aren't as pretty.

Quote:
OT, i just do not know if George is on first or third or plays shortstop.......
Lately, all I have time for is being a designated hitter.....I just smack it out of the ballpark, then stand back and watch while someone else does the running!
Old 24th November 2012, 02:18 PM   #109
tomlang is offline tomlang  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are my plans at present (with big asterisk) that I will get to in a minute.

First off, here are the output transformers I plan to use in a 13GB5 triode strapped amp: 70.7 VOLT-4,8 ohm LINE TRANSFORMER 4 lbs. Buy It Now $16.00 172812 HT-327 | eBay

The seller will negotiate for large purchases. I (stupidly?) bought several of these to play with. Specs are attached. Why this transformer? With 8 ohms on the 4 ohm tap will be 1250 ohm primary. Also dirt cheap in keeping with the 13GB5 price.

I looked for a power transformer with the "proper" low voltage for the B+ and found one that should also do duty for the 13GB5 filaments, etc, pic attached. Hard to find a transformer that yields less than 300 VDC. 240VAC secondaries are easy to find but yield way over 300 VDC.

I should be able to "overload" the 14.8 vac at 2 amp winding with 4 parallel 13GB5's drawing a total of 2.4 amps.

The 390 VCT should yield about 260 VDC or so. If you put a FWB on it, you'd get over 500 VDC so this trans should be useful for other builds.

I'll run a voltage doubler on the 195 VAC winding for the phase inverter and of course the 64 VAC for bias.

New Tortran 750VA Toroidal Power Supply Transformer TN741-M390-CPE new * | eBay

Now for the big asterisk. I own Pete's other red board, not the two separate ones so this build will be different. I'm posting in this thread because of the 13GB5 testing done by George. I hope that is okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ht-327.JPG (144.6 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg toroid transformer.JPG (40.3 KB, 314 views)
Old 24th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pso View Post
Don't give up yet... indecision is starting to get to me!

I just set up the breadboard for split supplies (lower voltage for driver + screen if needed, higher for plates). Played with the 829B some... it worked well, though it was difficult to make the feedback stable, especially with a big Tamura F-2012 OPT.

Having realized that the KT88 is actually rated for 600V in triode mode (!) I went back to the KT88 trioded, running 250V on the driver and 450V (as high as my bench supply goes) on the plates. Biased class-AB with 50mA total idle current. Getting 0.06% THD @ 1 watt and clipping around 28 watts (5k load).

I'm thinking 250V for the driver and 500V for the KT88 would be a nice operating point.

Hmmm....

Last edited by pmillett; 24th November 2012 at 04:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!