Mono push-pull driver PCB - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 04:50 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Wow... I've been out of touch on vacation for a week, and much has happened! Glad to see George is going down the sweep tube path!

I think I've decided to work up a build using PPP 807's (or 1625, 5933, or 829B... maybe 6146?) to do ~100W. I'm thinking B+ of 600V, G2 of 225-300V, 5k load impedance. I'm hoping to configure the driver so it can run down to 200V to allow the G2 supply to run the driver (829B is rated 225V max, 807 300V). Should only need around +/-35V of grid drive so hopefully it will work that low.

That will be step one. Then the rest... power supplies, etc. I think I'll ditch using any of my existing iron and spend the $$ for new Edcor transformers, and have them do a custom power xfmr. Contribute to the economy

Pete
Old 21st November 2012, 07:56 PM   #92
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

This is exciting! Time to dust off the workbench. I hope I can contribute something. If nothing else, I'm great at designing the chassis(subjective, I know), and will certainly share my cad drawing when we get to that point.
I don't have any power iron, so will definitely join in getting what you have made.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:30 PM   #93
pso is offline pso  Spain
diyAudio Member

HI Pete, look set to go with 100W or more, means that you leave the prototype triode-KT88? there has ben some progress? was happy with the sound?.

I have the tubes and I'm waiting a budget of EDCOR for the custom transformer.

750V (375-0-375) at 400mA, center tapped.

70V at 150mA.

6,3V at 10A.

5V at 3A.

As you see it? if you are thinking about ordering some custom transformer valid for the trioded-KT88, I'll wait.

I was waiting for to get some more information, and maybe, a list of parts.

I'm not an experienced builder, but I think I could do it.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:50 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Pete mentioned transmitting tubes, so why not. It's just a test so why not go BIG. Well I have some 833A's, but I don't have the bench space nor a few KV, nor an OPT big enough to eat it......so think a little smaller.....Why not a pair of 813's. I know I could squeeze more juice out of some bigger sweep tubes, but a pair of brightly glowing DHP's would look COOL.

OK, I got tubes, sockets, and plate caps, so.....hook em up...light em up.....and....

I have 4 tubes and ALL of them are DEAD.....

One of them is so dead that I can measure 0 ohms between G2 and G3.

Well at least they look cool.

NEXT......something smaller.....way smaller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 813_A.jpg (546.8 KB, 283 views)
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:34 AM   #95
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well at least they look cool.

Yes they do. Bummer.

Oh my God the size of that resistor!
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:13 AM   #96
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

hey George, you probably know i am into 4D32 pp amp, any future plans to torture these tubes.....
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:24 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Still impressed with the memory of that resistor I went to look for mine....it's a two watter! Yes, I troubleshoot my amps with a two watter as a load. Serious lack of power here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1158.jpg (86.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:40 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh my God the size of that resistor!
That's one of my little load resistors...its only rated for 120 watts, which I have already exceeded this week. Really big amps need a really big resistor. This one is rated for 500 watts, and I have fed it 525 watts using one of Petes big red boards and 35LR6's with both channels paralleled.

Quote:
hey George, you probably know i am into 4D32 pp amp, any future plans to torture these tubes.....
Yes, there is. The specs state that for maximum fun AB2 is needed. This little board won't really go there until I make a mosfer buffer board. Then you will see some AB2 testing on the 4D32 and some more mundane tubes like the 6L6GC. The mosfet buffer board will allow for some screen drive experiments on some sweep tubes like the little 13GB5 too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistors_A.jpg (621.2 KB, 233 views)
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:04 AM   #99
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

thanks George, looking forward to it...
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:04 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Wow George, you're playing in major league INDEED. I'm just a small-time player.

Hide this!Advertise here!