• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 139AA schematics, info?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was a kid, my first amp was what I believe to be a modified Magnavox 139AA amp. The pictures i have seen of the sams photofact sure look very very much the same. it definitely was the same chassis and transformers.

However a stock 139AA has a 5U4, 2x 6V6's and a 12AX7

Mine had a 5U4, 2x 6L6's a 6V6 and a 6SN7. My dad stated he added the 6SN7 so it is possible that he modified the whole thing.

I am looking for schematics and info for the 139AA amp. specifically what unit was this amp originally installed in? I am assuming a jukebox or maybe a console stereo?? maybe an organ or something??

Does it look like this?

Attachments

• amp_139aa_493446.jpg
    amp_139aa_493446.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 153
yes that photo is the same amp!! I am curious to look at the stock design and see if i can figure out why dad would have modified it? I would assume changing the 6V6's to 6L6's would have been fairly easy. then a 6V6 used as either a driver or a phase splitter with a 6SN7 as the input tube. he added a volume control to it as well.

I have looked at all the magnavox models i can find and the 139 is the only mono version with the larger upright transformer so it just has to be that amp!

I don't remember the model off hand but they were mono chassis amps using 6V6's. That was about 18 years ago! They were respectable for a commercially made console stereo amp but nothing overwhelming. Of the five Stereo 70's over the years that have been here the Curcio mod was the best sounding. The ARC modded St. 70 was also nice. The Dynaco Iron was excellent stuff but the original circuit behind them was very lacking, they were cheap however back when they were common. I think the Stereo 70 was a litle over a hundred bucks when I was in HIgh School in the late 60's. Today for a mere $320.00 USD you can get a tube amp direct from China that blows most amps I've ever owned (168 and counting) off the charts including my BAT VK-60... The amp uses 829B transmitter tubes for finals and does ~30 WPC into 8 ohms. Build quality is decent but scrap the Chineese tubes right off with some good tubes. The Chineese are doing some amazing and original things with tubes these days and some of the iron they produce is amazing to say the least.

Mark

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.