cascoded gyrator loaded 6H9C to low idle. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2011, 08:02 PM   #11
kees52 is online now kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I have noting against gyrator, but I don't understand why to torture the tube (6H9C) that wants much more voltage to sing nice?

Also, while gyrator allows you to minimize 2'nd order harmonic of the upper tube, the lower tube works in conditions that maximize it. With such design goal in mind I would use instead 2 stages loaded on plain resistors.
Hi

First happy christmas.

What I did are tests, just curieus what it did with sound and tubes, it is a nice way to get trough these dark days.

I have used your gyrator, I had on the cascode the 6H9C but have change that rapidy because it did not work oke, the 6H8C is better that is the sound you have hear on the video links, voltage was indeed to low, I did mention that already.. what is the best voltage over the tubes?

I did want the second harmonic because it give the sound a nice extra, little sweetness, But in future I can remove the gyrator and use a CCS instead, but don,t now how it sounds then, I like try everything, first I have need for more voltage if use mustage or cascode, (only for 6H8C or 6sn7 tubes) mustage for 6H9C.

Oke, I am just ready with try the 6H9C again, the sweetest sound I get is with mu follower idle on 0.5 a 0.7 mA I saw that the tubes I get from russia are very different in idle she are not the same, but that is normal I think with tubes, I mean for links and rechts channel tube.

you can now compare what sound better, but the youtube compression is a big factor to do that.

6H9C-mustage-0.7mA-idle.mpg - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: gif 6H9C tube mustage..gif (90.3 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by kees52; 25th December 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 29th December 2011, 04:24 PM   #12
kees52 is online now kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Well the 8H9C has now 450 volt, for the mu stage, and all capacitors are paper in oil, future volatge will be 400
but have nothing else this time and maybe 450 is fine special for cascoded ones.

It sounds warmer then with the polypropilene capacitors who are far more hars in amp, it is quite a difference.

resulting sound here that is mustage way what works well for high mu low current tubes.

highervoltage6H9C - YouTube

it is now complete Russian-Asian marriage.

Last edited by kees52; 29th December 2011 at 04:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!