placing the volume control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
male42 is offline male42  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Default placing the volume control

I want to set the volume control after the tube driver. in the case of transformer coupling between stages, we can draw conclusions for walking step. think that in this case will be less noise. your thoughts.? My English is bad translator.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by male42 View Post
I want to set the volume control after the tube driver. in the case of transformer coupling between stages, we can draw conclusions for walking step. think that in this case will be less noise. your thoughts.? My English is bad translator.
Not necessary unless you have a low level input signal. For the usual 1.0Vrms source, just put the volume control up front.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

After the tube driver....

Not a good place, the drive impedance seen by O/P tubes will alter depending on pot position which can/will affect sound....

Vol-pots are placed at the input to power-amps for a reason!
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:49 PM   #4
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by male42 View Post
What you say is common in guitar amps but not in audio. The guitar needs a constant 1M input impedance from the amp so a volume control before the gain stage can't work. But then that solution only kicks the variable impedance problem down to the next stage.

The "best" solution for audio is simply to not have a volume control on a power amp. All your sources likely already have a volume control, so way another one in the amp?
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

"grid bias" style volume knob
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:05 AM   #6
male42 is offline male42  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

in the case of the guitar amp is not clear. if the regulator is equal to 1 M, then for any rotation of contact input impedance will be 1M. or you have not properly understood. I give the image that was meant. I think it makes no difference where the volume control, but gain for noise and fire. and look at the case of the transformer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 125.JPG (14.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 124.JPG (13.8 KB, 75 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!