Tube amp kit and speaker recommendations? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2011, 05:25 AM   #11
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

On the S-5 electronics amps, what's wrong with the L series? They use the better tubes! 6005 are nice like 6V6 but no longer in production. You could always make adapter sockets later if needed. For a few more $ best deal. Plus they sell tubes for them for a reasonable price.

They don't sell the tubes for the other G series and it looks like they are discontinuing it. Probably those tubes are getting hard to find. Good ones may be hard to find as they would be a tricky tube to make with a combined preamp section with the output. The 16W/CH L series would be the better pick IMHO as you wouldn't have to turn it up as loud where distortion would be higher. Mono 16W best still because of stereo separation.

Look at the distortion figures though! Bass will be poor because of the size of OPT's too! You could always buy better OPT's later as many end up doing with these.

Anyway don't rush and due diligence will help as your doing!

Regards,

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 22nd December 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 05:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyauck View Post
On the S-5 electronics amps, what's wrong with the L series. They use the better tubes! for a few more $.

Look at the distortion figures though! Bass will be poor because of the size of OPT's too!

Regards,

Randy
I say that they don't look very good largely because of this review: DIY Audio Projects - Hi-Fi Blog for DIY Audiophiles: Audio Paradox - S-5 Electronics K-8LS Tube Amp Kit
Old 22nd December 2011, 06:15 AM   #13
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

The other one will be much same as it's also the transformers as mentioned. That's where those distortion figures came from.

Start with the Dynaco clone ST-35 OPT's http://triodeelectronics.com/z517wadyoutr.html and pick Tubelab EL84 PP board mentioned . You could always save up for a housing or base later. Triode Electronics sells the OPT's for $79 ea, PS trans $60 or less if you use a toroid. The 330-0-330 triode sells in the transformer bundle may have to high a voltage as 280-0-280 or 300-0-300 is recommended. George's Tubelab board kit @ $100 and say $100 for recommended JJ EL output tubes ,2- 12AT7's NOS tubes and Shuguang 5AR4 rect. tubes and a vol. control. RCA inputs and speaker outputs say $20 at the most. You could temp. put it on a board and find a cheap wire basket to protect it if necessary. Say $450 (as vol control may be a bit more.) before GST and shipping. You will have a top notch amp! You won't need to replace it or want to! Anyway lot's of help here!

Regards,

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 22nd December 2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:15 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I see the Tubelab EL84 boards on his site, but I don't see them being available to order anywhere. I only see prototypes of the PP boards, and see only SE boards to order.

If I were to go with this setup you mentioned rmyauck, I would go for the Hammond 300-0-300 PS trans as he has tested his with it.

Did you account for the misc. parts such as capacitors, resistors, tube sockets, ect? I see you say his board kit, so I'm assuming you did in this, but his website says he's not selling kits. Also, would there be a layout sheet I can use so I don't mess things up? I would prefer not to rely on my schematic reading abilities.

Last edited by mrcandyman; 22nd December 2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:25 PM   #15
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcandyman View Post
I see the Tubelab EL84 boards on his site, but I don't see them being available to order anywhere. I only see prototypes of the PP boards, and see only SE boards to order.
I think the EL84 PP have been available fore some time

also take a look at SY's el84 The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

there are a couple other 'simple' el84 amps on the forum, but I cant find them right now
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:22 PM   #16
akimmet is offline akimmet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcandyman View Post

If I were to go with this setup you mentioned rmyauck, I would go for the Hammond 300-0-300 PS trans as he has tested his with it.

Did you account for the misc. parts such as capacitors, resistors, tube sockets, ect? I see you say his board kit, so I'm assuming you did in this, but his website says he's not selling kits. Also, would there be a layout sheet I can use so I don't mess things up? I would prefer not to rely on my schematic reading abilities.
The ST-35 kit or the Tubelab SPP are excellent choices for a first time build. They aren't too big and complicated. The SPP is an easy build, but an ST-35 kit would be much easier to build because the chassis is included.

I would look in to upgrading your sound card first. I just don't like Xi-Fi sound cards, they sound terrible to me. They also seem to do unnecessary digital processing even with all of the fancy settings off. Unfortunately there aren't much in the way of good sound cards out there. A good external DAC or a pro-audio style sound card will help immensely.

George has the Simple PP (SPP) boards available, his site is just horribly out of date. Actually, I just got another one in the mail today.
Just follow the ordering instructions page and mention you want a SPP board in your message. Read this post for some more information: Board Availability

PCB_ordering
Simple P-P Manual
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

The X-Fi Prelude is a fantastic sound card, and no, I will not be changing it. Make no mistakes about it, it's NOT a typical Creative X-Fi card.

I am leaning towards getting the Simple PP board and kit, and I see in that he supposedly has some kits assembled so this is the likely way I'll go. I'll probably stick with rmyauck's recommendations, though I will likely build the kit as-is and change it later if I feel I need to.

It looks like I might need to wait a bit to build the speakers. That shouldn't be a huge problem as the Z-5500's use 8 Ohm speakers so I can use them to break in the amp.
Old 22nd December 2011, 07:59 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I see the Tubelab EL84 boards on his site, but I don't see them being available to order anywhere.......George has the Simple PP (SPP) boards available, his site is just horribly out of date.
I have plenty of both in stock. Yes, my web site is in need of a serious refresh. I have a full time engineering job that has been consuming most of my time lately, so it is slow coming but I am working on it.

The parts kit includes all of the parts that go on the PC board except tubes. You will still need tubes, transformers, a volume pot, input jacks, speaker jacks, a power cord or IEC receptacle and fuse holder with fuse.

The board is $35, the parts kit is $65 and shipping to Canada is $15 ($8 in the US).

Quote:
Actually, I just got another one in the mail today

I am currently vacationing in West Virginia. I brought boards and parts kits with me. Trust me the post office lines are far shorter here than in Fort Lauderdale Florida. I sent your board Tuesday Afternoon.

There is a long thread here about the SPP. It covers several builds.

Tubelab Simple P-P

Quote:
On the S-5 electronics amps, what's wrong with the L series? They use the better tubes! 6005 are nice like 6V6 but no longer in production.
I can't speak about the S-5 kits since I have never seen one but the 6005 is an industrial number for the 6AQ5. True the 6AQ5 is no longer made, but over a million of them were made in the past and they are very common all over the world.
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
I have plenty of both in stock. Yes, my web site is in need of a serious refresh. I have a full time engineering job that has been consuming most of my time lately, so it is slow coming but I am working on it.

The parts kit includes all of the parts that go on the PC board except tubes. You will still need tubes, transformers, a volume pot, input jacks, speaker jacks, a power cord or IEC receptacle and fuse holder with fuse.

The board is $35, the parts kit is $65 and shipping to Canada is $15 ($8 in the US).

I am currently vacationing in West Virginia. I brought boards and parts kits with me. Trust me the post office lines are far shorter here than in Fort Lauderdale Florida. I sent your board Tuesday Afternoon.

There is a long thread here about the SPP. It covers several builds.

Tubelab Simple P-P

I can't speak about the S-5 kits since I have never seen one but the 6005 is an industrial number for the 6AQ5. True the 6AQ5 is no longer made, but over a million of them were made in the past and they are very common all over the world.
Thanks for the response. What volume pot would you recommend? Also, what amperage of fuse would you recommend for this?
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:41 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What volume pot would you recommend? Also, what amperage of fuse would you recommend for this?
The volume pot should be a dual audio taper pot with a value from 10K to 50K ohms. I use a 50K pot. There are dozens of volume pots available ranging from $1 to over $50 each. There are some valid reasons to spend big $$$$ on a volume pot, but I use the budget Alpha's from Mouser for most builds.

RV24BF-10-15R1-A50K Alpha (Taiwan) Potentiometers

The fuse should be a 2 amp slow blow fuse. It needs to match the size of the fuseholder you use. I bought a bunch of IEC power sockets that have the fuseholder built in at a hamfest a few years ago and I have been using them. They take a tiny fuse which is available at Radio Shack. A seperate socket or power cord and a conventional fuse holder would be a bit cheaper if you have to order them.

Hide this!Advertise here!