• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6U8 driving 45

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone familiar with using 6U8 driving 45. A friend gave me this schematics and want to know if 6U8 would be a good tube to drive 45. Thanks.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 418
Anyone familiar with using 6U8 driving 45. A friend gave me this schematics and want to know if 6U8 would be a good tube to drive 45. Thanks.

It looks fairly good, and so long as you stick with Class A1, a cathode follower will make a good grid driver.

I would, however, suggest DC coupling with a negative rail. That helps eliminate that coupling capacitor, and the resulting blocking distortion on signal peaks. I would also recommend at least some gNFB to help clean up the output. (NFB is not the "Spawn of Satan" that a lot of audiophools think it is. :p )

Xecluded, you're welcome... the gain of the amp is moderate... 775mv input will yield 1-watt output with good tubes. The input/driver section has a gain of ~50 volts/volt. With a 2V pk-pk 10kHz square wave input, the signal at the 45 grid is 100V pk-pk with no ringing or slew limiting. I've tested with OPTs from Hammond, Magnequest, Electra-Print, James and Transcendar and none have any notable issues but some of the better ones certainly have the performance edge over the Hammonds. If you get some really good 45 tubes, you can realize s/n ratio better than 80dB (referenced to 1-watt) via the AC hum balance.

Regards, KM

I would wire that tube with a 1k gris stopper going into a 220k resistor to ground. a 240 ohm resistor on pin7, remove the zener, connect the 1 uf cap to pin 3 and 7. a 270k from pin 3 to B+. remove 500k resistor. change cathode pin 8 circuit to a 47k with a 2.2 uf coupling cap to the 45. change the 100k to 220K on the 45 grid circuit. get a 2.5 VCT transformer and install the cathode circuit on the center tap of the heater transformer. try it see how it is some people like the ones I come up with off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I would wire that tube with a 1k gris stopper going into a 220k resistor to ground. a 240 ohm resistor on pin7, remove the zener, connect the 1 uf cap to pin 3 and 7. a 270k from pin 3 to B+. remove 500k resistor. change cathode pin 8 circuit to a 47k with a 2.2 uf coupling cap to the 45. change the 100k to 220K on the 45 grid circuit. get a 2.5 VCT transformer and install the cathode circuit on the center tap of the heater transformer. try it see how it is some people like the ones I come up with off the top of my head.

Dave, are you referring to the 6u8 or 417 driving 45. Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.