• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Expert advice on what preamp to chose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Gents,

I am about to get a tube preamplifier and I would really appreciate your expert advice on two of the most potent contenders I managed to locate.

Number one (in terms of preference):

Auriga

Number two:

Welcome to Croft Acoustics +44(0)1723 355111 (The official site for Croft amplification)

Let me say the phono stage is of no big interest.

I strongly believe that a well designed machine is a first sign of true sonic excellence. So not being an expert, or able to assess the quality of the designs, and having being misled by the marketing junk several times in the past, I would like recommendations on these two (or maybe another relevant preamp).

Thank you so much in advance!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For the kind of coin discussed here you might want to consider something used like the ARC LS-1 or one of its successors. Solid performing hybrid line stage..

Other things to consider might be a TVC based design from Dave Slagle or the Silver Rock TVC.. Both of which will give you gain and a relatively low source Z with typical solid state sources. I have heard several of Dave Slagle's TVC and they are excellent performers IMLE. The Silver Rock marketing stuff is rubbish, but theirs also sounds quite nice IMVLE..

What is the signal level needed to drive the power amp to full O/P? If it's less than the 2 V. "standard" digital signal sources produce, you don't need a line stage with gain.

Passive preamp is an oxymoron! However, a passive control center may be satisfactory. A buffered level control, with source switching, rates (IMO) to be the best bet, should line stage gain be unnecessary.

What is the signal level needed to drive the power amp to full O/P? If it's less than the 2 V. "standard" digital signal sources produce, you don't need a line stage with gain.

Passive preamp is an oxymoron! However, a passive control center may be satisfactory. A buffered level control, with source switching, rates (IMO) to be the best bet, should line stage gain be unnecessary.

Hi there!

I checked with the power amp's specs and they won't refer to that value...

Last edited:
Somebody also proposed this one which I like...

Foreplay Line Stage kit

Again, it has a lot of gain. If I were in the market for a preamp with little to no gain, I'd probably pick up a Firstwatt B1. It will likely embarrass the ones you have linked. And, if you are so inclined, outside of the chassis, you can build one for about $40.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.