• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

input transformer - mumetal casing etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Dear All, investingating the possibility of building a pmillet universal PP amplifier

Push-pull KT88 class A amp with "universal" driver PCB

I researched one of the most expensive components (on the PCB that is)...the input transformer.

either a sowter or lundhal will do according to pete millet. Here is the link to the sowter product

To reduce cost and shipping problems I would have liked to have all the transformer parts made and shipped through edcor electronics. I have contacted them in relation to the sowter part (to have it "cloned") and the reply is the following:

1. They don't use mumetal cans or electrostatic shielding
2. "What we can do is the 1:1 ratio PC and PCW series transformers (on our website) and could put a external copper shield on the transformer for an additional cost"

I am no engineer and would like to ask some input to some of the guys on the forum. Can such a solution work? Waht would be a good choice among the EDCOR products to emulate the charaacteristics of the sowter part?

Thanks
Alex

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Is there anyway to obtain sheets of magnetic material and have them formed to create a screen?

In conclusion you all foresee problems with using the EDCOR alternative, correct?

I have plenty of tools and machines (a friend has a CNC/metalwork shop) so forming, bending and such would not be a problem...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dual shielding is quite important if the transformer is a conventional EI core type which has poor rejection of external magnetic fields. Toroids and C-cores tend to need less shielding as they seem to contain their own magnetic fields more effectively and in so doing are also generally less susceptible to external fields.

I use transformer coupling extensively in my system, and use shielded transformers everywhere except in the driver stage and OPT. The IT is an unshielded Lundahl C-core which given the high signal levels is not a problem. I do go to some trouble to keep power transformers far away from these transformers if possible.

one of the solutions might be this:

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. PCW10K/10K

or

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. WSM10K/10K

comments?

Thanks again
Alex

The trouble with Edcor is they are relatively low inductance transformers - that's why they are cheap. The two mentioned have primary inductances of 8H and 11H respectively. At 20Hz these look like about 1K ohms rather than 10K so unless you can be sure your driving source impedance is a lot less than 1K at 20Hz you will certainly have poor low frequency amplitude and phase response as well as distortion.

Cheers

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.