• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SOHA headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You either have a 6.3volt or 12.6volt heater transformer.

If 12.6v, then you should have one wire connected to "9" and the other wire connected to "4 AND 5" You should get ~12.6 volts when measured from pin 9 to pins 4+5.

Milliamps is a current measurement of current not voltage.

Set your meter to AC Volts. Some amplifiers may have DC heaters, but most are AC.

Be carefull and have fun.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You either have a 6.3volt or 12.6volt heater transformer.

If 12.6v, then you should have one wire connected to "9" and the other wire connected to "4 AND 5" You should get ~12.6 volts when measured from pin 9 to pins 4+5.

<snip>

Be carefull and have fun.

The above advice is for 6.3V filament connection, if you have a 12.6V filament transformer or supply connect one side to 4, and the other side to 5. There should be nothing connected to pin 9.

For 6.3V operation connect pins 4 &5 together and to one side of the filament transformer. Connect pin 9 to the other side.

See: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/127/1/12AU7A.pdf

Note that the filament between 4 and 9 is rated for 6.3V, and the filament between 5 and 9 is rated for 6.3V. Place them in series using only pins 4, 5 for 12.6V operation and in parallel by shorting together 4 & 5 and applying 6.3V between the shorted pins and pin 9. Hope this is sufficiently clear.

thank you for the quick reply's yes this is a 12.6 volts DC to the heaters. the way I measured was to put the negative at my star ground and touch poles 4 and 5. 4 came in at 12.6v but 5 was in milli volt range and is my confusion. this is my first point to point attempt and I found it quite addictive

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thank you for the quick reply's yes this is a 12.6 volts DC to the heaters. the way I measured was to put the negative at my star ground and touch poles 4 and 5. 4 came in at 12.6v but 5 was in milli volt range and is my confusion. this is my first point to point attempt and I found it quite addictive

So you need remove the connection to pin 9 and connect it to pin 5 instead.. If no connection to pin 9 then you need to find the other side of your filament supply - there has to be a loop for the current to return to the supply after all - and it actually should not be through your chassis GND.

thank you all for your help. I got the amp working this morning and it sounds great now to build a case...One last question I have 2k trim pots to adjust the voltage on the plate to 40 volts one of the pots will only let me raise the voltage to 36.5 volts is it possible that this is a bad pot or can I change the 560 resister that follows this to another size to acheive 40 volts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.