Drilling a hole - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2011, 08:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Drilling a hole

I'm looking to put a tube on top of a small amp. For the purpose I intend to use a stepped drill to make the hole in the metal enclosure.

Not knowing much about tubes I was wondering as to the smallest socket I can fit and the diameter I can expect to need so that I can purchase the right sized drill bit.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post
I'm looking to put a tube on top of a small amp. For the purpose I intend to use a stepped drill to make the hole in the metal enclosure.

Not knowing much about tubes I was wondering as to the smallest socket I can fit and the diameter I can expect to need so that I can purchase the right sized drill bit.

Is this just for show?

Or are you going to use the tube in a circuit?

What type of tube ie power tube, rectifier tube, sweep tube, pre amp tube?

You can get sizes from the suppliers..EG small tubes B9A bases (20mm), power tubes can be octal (30mm) or other types. The type of base dictates the hole size..

valve bases page

You will find a size drawing next to the sockets a small icon.

Hope this helps

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 17th December 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Gilgy is offline Gilgy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Q-Max hole punches do the job very nicely. Bluebell have them in the Tools section.

Bluebell Audio

Although if it's a one off job you could drill and file and de-burr. By the time you've finished you'll wish you bought a hole punch.
Old 17th December 2011, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's only for show but I intend to power it to make it glow.

hmmm, I didn't realise there were so many types. A 'glow' tube would be about right. As long as it's small and glowy and reasonably pretty looking.

Thanks for that very helpful link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
Is this just for show?

Or are you going to use the tube in a circuit?

What type of tube ie power tube, rectifier tube, sweep tube, pre amp tube?

You can get sizes from the suppliers..EG small tubes B9A bases (20mm), power tubes can be octal (30mm) or other types. The type of base dictates the hole size..

valve bases page

You will find a size drawing next to the sockets a small icon.

Hope this helps

Regards
M. Gregg
Old 17th December 2011, 05:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgy View Post
Q-Max hole punches do the job very nicely. Bluebell have them in the Tools section.

Bluebell Audio

Although if it's a one off job you could drill and file and de-burr. By the time you've finished you'll wish you bought a hole punch.
I did think of hole punches but the enclosure is fairly small. Also I;m trying to keep the cost down while at the same time I need to drill some front panel holes, so it seem a stepped bit on a drill is probably the best I can do. Thanks for that though.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:15 PM   #6
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you use a stepped drill bit, I suggest using it in a drill press and clamp the chassis down to stop it turning and cutting your hand.

Having said that, the idea of putting a non-functional tube on top 'just for show' is pretty tacky. As said above, anybody who knows anything about audio will think it is stupid. Anybody who is impressed by its non-functionality is probably not worth impressing anyway!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 17th December 2011, 11:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriman View Post

An ecc82/83 is around 13mm. I always used a sheet metal punch it does a neater job. They dont cost that much maybe £10 ish.
Old 18th December 2011, 03:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It's fun and it adds that certain je ne sais quoi of tube amps. Also it glows!!!!!!

It's nothing to do with impressing people: it's about aesthetics and fun. And that warm glow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish View Post
Having said that, the idea of putting a non-functional tube on top 'just for show' is pretty tacky. As said above, anybody who knows anything about audio will think it is stupid. Anybody who is impressed by its non-functionality is probably not worth impressing anyway!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 18th December 2011, 03:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
An ecc82/83 is around 13mm. I always used a sheet metal punch it does a neater job. They dont cost that much maybe £10 ish.
That's handy! Thanks for the tube info.

For hole punching I assumed that I would need an expensive contraption that may, in any case, not be able to be used for a small enclosure. Looking on youtube I see that in fact it's an all-in-one; I just need a wrench.

However, since I'm also making arbitrary sized holes in a face plate it seems to me that a step drill may be more economical. I suppose it depends on the cost of the file/deburrer.
Old 18th December 2011, 06:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

A real electriciansí hole punch works best. If you have a drill press (less chatter) you can get away a made for wood spade or better a planetary bit for one hole. For a neat clean hole a stepper bit would be my last pick.
A top mount socket will cover most sins.
DT

Hide this!Advertise here!