Mu Follower Driver for Push-Pull - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2011, 02:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mu Follower Driver for Push-Pull

I'm sure this has been done before, but does it look feasible?

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: pdf el34ppschematic.pdf (20.7 KB, 504 views)
Old 17th December 2011, 12:28 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It is feasible in the sense that it will amplify audio signals. Possibly sub-optimal in the sense that a simple active load for the first triode would probably work just as well.

Driving an EL34 ultralinear output could require the phase splitter to use a significant part of its characteristic, so some distortion could occur here.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:39 PM   #3
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
It is feasible in the sense that it will amplify audio signals.
not that I know much about it
but when using the low side out output of the mu-follower, which is high impedance, is there something about loosing gain, when 'receiver' load is less than in the mega ohm range

'upper' output on mu-follower is of very low impedance, and thus not a problem
but high impedance low side might be used fore DC coupling
why that is I dont know

Old 17th December 2011, 01:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry, my mistake. Yes it is just an active load, not a mu follower. I should have ignored the thread title.

The 12AT7 will see an anode load of about 1M so it will be as linear as a 12AT7 can be.
Old 17th December 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
not that I know much about it
but when using the low side out output of the mu-follower, which is high impedance, is there something about loosing gain, when 'receiver' load is less than in the mega ohm range

'upper' output on mu-follower is of very low impedance, and thus not a problem
but high impedance low side might be used fore DC coupling
why that is I dont know

Actually the output impedance of the lower output is "higher", not too high. About 12K in this case. The input impedance of the cathodyne is very high so the gain of the 12AT7 should not be affected.

Last edited by scott17; 17th December 2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: not too high
Old 17th December 2011, 04:44 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

how do calculate/choose the right phase splitter tube, to ensure good balance between anode and cathode ?
(honestly I dont understand why theres not more gain from upper anode side, but apparently both sides are unity gain)

I understand that the limited drive of cathodyne phase splitter can be ok with easier driven tubes like el84
but EL34 can be a bit more tough to drive, or ?

also, cathodyne phase splitter might be more easily 'overdriven', from what I have read
considering the very high gain of mu-follower, would this cause 'issues' ?
Old 17th December 2011, 05:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
how do calculate/choose the right phase splitter tube, to ensure good balance between anode and cathode ?
(honestly I dont understand why theres not more gain from upper anode side, but apparently both sides are unity gain)

I understand that the limited drive of cathodyne phase splitter can be ok with easier driven tubes like el84
but EL34 can be a bit more tough to drive, or ?

also, cathodyne phase splitter might be more easily 'overdriven', from what I have read
considering the very high gain of mu-follower, would this cause 'issues' ?
The Morgan Jones book suggests a low mu tube for better output balance. Other sources suggest this as well.

There may very well be too much gain in the mu-follower. It is direct coupled through a voltage divider to match the calculated grid bias of the phase splitter. The 6N1P is pretty much pushed to the limit in this case, and may not (probably won't) drive the EL34s very well at all. Another stage could be added. But this is an experiment.

Here is a good article by Albert Preisman: http://www.aikenamps.com/cathodyne.pdf
Old 17th December 2011, 06:22 PM   #8
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are going to use a 6N23P, why not use both stages for the Mu Stage as it is designed for Cascode operation per the data sheet.
Old 17th December 2011, 06:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
If you are going to use a 6N23P, why not use both stages for the Mu Stage as it is designed for Cascode operation per the data sheet.
My thinking was that the higher mu of the 12AT7 would provide better gain. But you may be right.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus
In this phase splitter circuit balance comes simply from having equal loads on cathode and anode. As both are the same total impedance and carry the same current they develop the same voltage. The voltage gain is a bit less than one.

Hide this!Advertise here!