• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Note P-zero

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do please excuse me; I naively assumed that publishing a copyright schematic was indeed the issue and against the forum rules- I really must read them more carefully.

What I DO know, however, as the Director of Audio Note is a friend of mine, is that they are very open and approachable and welcome any interest in their products. Peter Qvortrup would almost certainly provide a schematic for personal use.

Well. I got some pcl82 tubes and i want to build a little amp. with this tubes.
therefore i search a good schematics. I find some, but I'm courious how to made this that BIGS. (AN)

Attachments

• pcl82.jpg
    pcl82.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 659
Nowhere does mayky say he has a P-zero. Many of us are interested in how commercial equipment is built, either for the design ideas or to make our own (for personal use) "replica". I can see nothing wrong with that.
The only issue may be publishing a copyright schematic.

There is virtually nothing new in vacuum tube schematic since 50 - 60 (only hybrid amps are exception). Small tweaks don't need to be counted as real invention.
Even if something was patented/copyrighted, it is expired due to the age.

patenting and copyrighting are hardly the same thing though, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, but none of it can be violated neither for personal neither for commercial purpose.

Original (non-derivative) schematic made with some unique features/algorithms can be patented (its quite expensive process, however,), visual look (if really different from anything else on the market) is copyrighted from the moment of creation.

When it comes to vacuum tube schematic, it can be copyrighted only as picture (drawing, artwork, call it as you like), but it can't be patented because it simply put, typical, and similar solutions exist for over half of century in sheer numbers.

Original visual design (e.g. Wavac, Lars) is also subject of copyright. AuidoNote is not because it is typical for this product range, and many of this company products use industry-standard OEM boxes/enclosures.

Scanned AudioNote vacuum tube schematic can't be posted on forum because it is copyrighted material. However, you can redraw it with any software or just by hand and post anywhere.

Hi Mayky,

The AN P-Zero mono blocks delivers 8 Watt each from a pair of ECL82 tubes, where the pentode sections runs in ultra linear (20% taps) push-pull output stage, and one triode section acts as input amplifier and the other triode acts as a phase splitter (but I think they use a driver transformer for this job).

So this is a simple, well understood, and widely available schematic in the internet, BUT with a few variants.
AN UK design is very specific in the way they tap the primary output transformers at 20% to connect the screen grid to get the most power and low distortion from the tubes in class AB2 (I don't think they can take 8 Watt in class AB1, so I believe they use a drivers transformer to run them into class AB2.).
Most of the transformers are tapped at 43% as this is a more common value.
The primary impedance should have a minimum of 9Kohm.
Also our own site refers to this issue before, here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/63441-ecl82-6bm8-pp-stereo.html

ecl82_3.gif

circuit-2-big.png

ecl82_1.gif

So, You really need the correct driver and output transformers to get the most from your tubes and reach the specified power and distortion.
I believe AN in UK will be happy to sell you the transformers and the schematics as well, I'm sure.
http://www.audionote.co.uk/articles/reviews/ANote.pdf
http://www.audionote.co.uk/downloads/zero_manuals/an_p_zero.pdf

Also you may like to check this transformer manufacturer in UK:
SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS

Thanx for infos.
The output transformers will do it by myself. :)

Here is one bobin, this is unloaded ratio. The loaded (wire DC resistance, etc) more than 9k.

This bobin is suit for M85B core, it's about 12-13 cm2

Attachments

• pcl82ppcséve.JPG
    pcl82ppcséve.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 535
Well I made a test model PCL82 PP. I made some square wave test. I've got this results.
The frequencies:

100Hz, 1kHz
10 kHz, 20kHz
40 Khz, 80 kHz

My audiogenerator is not perfect, but essence is viewable

Attachments

• pcl82pp.JPG
    pcl82pp.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 509
  • mérés.jpg
    mérés.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 495
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.