integrated amps 100 per channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2011, 09:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default integrated amps 100 per channel

hi,
i'm curious about finding a big honking vintage all tube to have converted to a bass amp. being for bass, live, i figure 100 watts minimum, preferably a 2x100. i have ideas and have read stuff, but no idea what can be done, has been done successfully , etc. i have a vintage ampro power speaker (1x12ax7, 2x6v6) that i use with a pair of 12" alnicos and love and want see what else i can get to use for larger applications. i know enough to keep from killing myself or starting fires, and i can match inpedance, but there's where my electronics knowledge ends, so maybe dumb it down if u feel it will actually help! i really need advice for what to tell the guy that'll be doing the work!
Old 12th December 2011, 09:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
A couple of Ampeg SVT would be fine for the starter.
Old 12th December 2011, 10:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

of course. i'm looking for an asthetic. i want a head that looks like "darth vader's bathroom" or like a chunk of sputnik or something. an svt will work beatifully, but anyone can have one. i'm going to have it rebuilt anywho, but the closer the start is to my end result, the cheaper the build.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Why I suggested Ampeg, because it has proper output transformer. The rest of 100W vintage amps would be good for guitar, but not for bass.
Or, you can go with hybrid: take some stereo tube hi-fi amp and add solid stage output buffers.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Something like a Bogen or Masco PA head would maybe do the trick... there were models up to 100W or so. The older Strombergs topped out at 50W or so, but are built like tanks - the later APH models went up to 200W. Some of these are "booster" amps, without a preamp section. They aren't hi-fi, but will beat a Bassman for bass response.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
They aren't hi-fi, but will beat a Bassman for bass response.
Sure, because Bassman has nothing common with Bass except name.
Old 14th December 2011, 06:11 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

what peaked my interest in the asthetic part was a pic of an old fischer. i want a good piece that's built for turning up loud. i guess long story short i'm need of search terms for the evilbay. there's hammond- i think those amps get powerful. leslie, kustom, blah i know most of the pro audio names from the 70's and newer, but those big powerful toobies from the earlier years of hifi and pro audio i don't know. masco is a good suggestion, thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!