Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Angstrom Thermionic
Angstrom Thermionic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member
Inductor's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
Default Angstrom Thermionic

Hi all,
What's a Thermionic amp as in "32-watt Thermionic, class A amplifier"? I once had a tube angstrom integrated amp. Are the tube amps from angstrom "very" good? I remember the one I had in the 70's was marvelous. So after my question on the "Thermionics" that I suppose is a name/number/definition for a type of tube, where should I start my reading or introduction. I'm building speakers for many years (find me on Multi-Way). Curious about the Tubes/Valves. Thanks for your time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 02:05 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
Join Date: May 2007
"Thermionic" simply refers to the most common type of tube/valve: one which relies on a hot cathode to produce free electrons. In British English we call them thermionic valves. In American English they are vacuum tubes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 05:36 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
kevinkr's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Angstrom Thermionic
AKA thermionic electron tubes here in the USA in addition to just plain old "tube"..
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Inductor is offline Inductor  Portugal
diyAudio Member
Inductor's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
Thanks, I can't remember if it was an Armstrong Amp instead I had (was a kid).

Links for UK "vintage fanatics" are provided. Jim's Audio Pages and Websites
And if you have one of these amps please respect the furniture/carpet matching with the wood of the amp from the catalog...
Armstrong Publicity Material - 500 range
Speakers: I see they had speakers also, yeah (and with a dome for mid)
The Armstrong 600 Series - page 3 - The 602 Loudspeaker
Armstrong Audio - Links and Contacts
Hi-Fi Repair
  Reply With Quote


Angstrom ThermionicHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thermionic diode ravaner Tubes / Valves 3 30th December 2010 12:48 PM
replacing op-amps with thermionic valves jenks Tubes / Valves 2 25th March 2008 02:45 PM
Thermionic Cooling? ak_47_boy Tubes / Valves 11 13th June 2007 12:49 AM
Thermionic Valve Analogue Stages PTSOUNDLAB Digital Source 7 5th May 2003 05:23 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio