diyAudio (
-   Tubes / Valves (
-   -   Angstrom Thermionic (

Inductor 12th December 2011 12:50 PM

Angstrom Thermionic
Hi all,
What's a Thermionic amp as in "32-watt Thermionic, class A amplifier"? I once had a tube angstrom integrated amp. Are the tube amps from angstrom "very" good? I remember the one I had in the 70's was marvelous. So after my question on the "Thermionics" that I suppose is a name/number/definition for a type of tube, where should I start my reading or introduction. I'm building speakers for many years (find me on Multi-Way). Curious about the Tubes/Valves. Thanks for your time.

DF96 12th December 2011 01:05 PM

"Thermionic" simply refers to the most common type of tube/valve: one which relies on a hot cathode to produce free electrons. In British English we call them thermionic valves. In American English they are vacuum tubes.

kevinkr 12th December 2011 04:36 PM

AKA thermionic electron tubes here in the USA in addition to just plain old "tube"..

Inductor 12th December 2011 11:42 PM

Thanks, I can't remember if it was an Armstrong Amp instead I had (was a kid).:scratch:

Links for UK "vintage fanatics" are provided. Jim's Audio Pages and Websites
And if you have one of these amps please respect the furniture/carpet matching with the wood of the amp from the catalog...
Armstrong Publicity Material - 500 range
Speakers: I see they had speakers also, yeah (and with a dome for mid)
The Armstrong 600 Series - page 3 - The 602 Loudspeaker
Armstrong Audio - Links and Contacts
Hi-Fi Repair

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio