• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cary audio design SLI 80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have two OPT Ra-a 4.6k/rated 70w,UL 40%,hand wound on C-core.I have been looking for sheme of suitable pp design with KT88 around 70W class AB1.Perssonaly,I belive that amp. with tube rectified sound much better.Plese,if anybody have Cary SLI 80 circuit,sheme,photo better resolution beneath chassis,or any info to post it,or send to my e-mail.
Many thanks,

Attachments

• SLI80silver_front_800.jpg
    SLI80silver_front_800.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 311
  • sli-80rear.jpg
    sli-80rear.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 305
  • bare_chassis.jpg
    bare_chassis.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 300
Unfortunately,I have not found any documentation about it,
But in the meanwhile,I have dscovered one more interesting pp-ul with KT88 using same OPT as i mentioned above.The SAC Thailand product Glow Master with 6N1 input and 6N1 as drivers.So,I ask Thai Diyers,maybe they could help!?
Cheers,

Attachments

• AmpGlowmasterKT88-5.jpg
    AmpGlowmasterKT88-5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 256
  • AmpGlowmasterKT88-pogled odozdo.jpg
    AmpGlowmasterKT88-pogled odozdo.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 256
Does the Glow Master amp have a tube rectifier? I don't see one.

I do know of another circuit that uses a pair of KT88s and a tube rectifier that would be a good match for your transformers. It's in a book though. If you're interested, it's probably best to PM me with your e-mail address.

I found pictures of the underside of the chassis of the Cary Audio SLI 80 right on their own website.

Cary Audio Design - SLI 80

And they're getting 40W in class A triode mode out of a pair of KT88s? I thought sure that wringing that much power of them in that set up would exceed the dissipation ratings. I'm curious how they're doing that.

I think it is just sales talk, to get over the psychological 40W limit. I am sure Cary Audio does not want customer's valves to melt!

I was beginning to think it was just sales talk myself. The only place I see 40W class A is the front page of that product on the website. It doesn't claim that anywhere in the specs or anywhere else. I was also wondering how it went from class A in triode to class AB1 in ultralinear with the flip of a switch. Yeah. There's no way it's all of 40W in full class A because that would certainly exceed the dissipation ratings of KT88s. It's a class AB1 in triode mode also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.