• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DIY Phono Preamp ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any recommendations for a good DIY phono preamp? I've been using a modified Grado PH1 (swapped in OPA627) with improved PS (using Hagerman's Bugle PS @+/-15VDC) and am getting tired of the harshness/glare. Also tried the Hagerman Bugle and was unimpressed. I have a low output (0.5mv) MI/MM Grado Statement Sonata 1 and need nearly 60db gain. The Grado's not bad in it's present form but I want to upgrade. Hows' BHL? Aikido?
Thanks, Rich

There are 2 good ways to get the job done: step up transformers (SUTs) into a "conventional" 2 stage phono section and Allen Wright's hybrid cascode.

FWIW, I've uploaded a tweaked version of the "classic" RCA passive EQ design that's not especially difficult to execute. You would need SUTs, such as those offered by CineMag, Jensen, and Sowter, in addition.

Attachments

• Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    Full Tweaked RCA Phono Stage.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 776
I highly recommend the Izzy Wizzy phono design by Stephen Robinson. All of the details are set out on his website.

Izzy Wizzy Audio

If you want something basic and easy to build, try the Mk.15 version. You don't need to go for his full power supply design which uses a lot of iron. You can try something simpler first. Although the circuit is very simple, it is capable of very high quality sound. My initial build easily bested my Artemis PH-1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.