• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EU regulations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That lead free stuff is rubbish. Can't see the point of it. Is anyone going around licking any soldered joint they can find?

That's not really the point, the point is what happens when the device in question reaches end of life, is not properly recycled, and ends up in a land fill leaching toxic materials into the local ground water. There are also specific EOL requirements related to RoHS

E waste is a huge and not very funny problem in the third world. Might want to educate yourself.

That lead free stuff is rubbish. Can't see the point of it. Is anyone going around licking any soldered joint they can find?

Electronics is manufactured by businesses that try to sell more gadgets per time that inevitably go to dumpsters. ROHS protects environment from harmful waste. So called Industrialized Countries make 97 percent of garbage on the Earth. It is the main production of our civilization, and of course it has to be safe!

Safety is important, however lead-free solder is not without its drawbacks. It has a higher melting temperature and there have been some reports that such solder has a higher risk of deteriorating over time. Have you heard of an Xbox 360 that has lasted longer than 3-4 years? The solder connecting the GPU to the motherboard lets go, resulting in a permanently bricked console (and the Red Ring of Death).

Pundits have linked the RRoD to problems with the lead-free solder Microsoft was using.

Safety is important, however lead-free solder is not without its drawbacks. It has a higher melting temperature and there have been some reports that such solder has a higher risk of deteriorating over time. Have you heard of an Xbox 360 that has lasted longer than 3-4 years? The solder connecting the GPU to the motherboard lets go, resulting in a permanently bricked console (and the Red Ring of Death).

Pundits have linked the RRoD to problems with the lead-free solder Microsoft was using.

This drawbacks are important as well: the faster consumer electronics die, the better is for businesses.

yep and that exactly whats happened to my lap top (i assumed that why they invented the stuff) !!

The lead free solders seem to have a lower malleability. Lead solder can take stress (thermal cycling, etc) a lot better.

That's why military equipment is exempt from ROHS regulations.
But recent failure of Russian space ship going on Mars proves that "new technologies" find their way to the outer space anyway...

I am happy I can buy extremely cheap tubes that were used in military and airspace programs when their reliability was properly valued.

I just wonder how long it will be until lead based solder is no longer available? Bound to happen some day. Is it banned in CA yet? Y'all will be first.

Hi there: What is the material used to ballance vehicle wheels/tires? I frequently see it laying along the streets. Some audio equipment I have is still operating from 1960/70's, so IMO lead-tin solder is not necessarly unreliable over time. ...regards, Michael

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.