Valve Amplification Company V100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2011, 10:48 PM   #1
npdot is offline npdot  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Valve Amplification Company V100

A friend just told me that he has two Valve Amplification Company, "Vintage High Power" (V100) 100W amps, that he inherited from a relative. I haven't seen them yet, but he has asked me to sell them for him. My experience with valve audio equipment goes back to the 60's & 70's.

Anyone, please tell me about the Valve Amplification Company, the V100, how much they may be worth, how to go about selling them, anything--please.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

100w is pretty big. Sounds British.

Start them on eBay for .99 cents and watch them go.
Old 7th December 2011, 02:45 AM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Provided I've got it right, the following should be useful:

Company is located in Sarasota FLA, and is still around.
Contact information here: VAC/VALVE AMPLIFICATION COMPANY - We Build the World's Finest Audio Components

Manual is here: http://www.vac-amps.com/Manual_Vintage_High_Power.pdf

This is the manual for the V100..

I need to tell you these are fairly high value amps and should probably be sold on AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums where they will command a fair price.

No affiliation with any of the above.
Old 7th December 2011, 04:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

These are the folks who built the Marantz re-issues. VERY nice.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 7th December 2011, 04:21 AM   #5
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Vac is good stuff, they will command good cash .......
Old 7th December 2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Banned

Just wondering, would you guys consider AudioGon better then eBay for selling HiFi?

I have never used AudioGon, but I watch and sell in the Vintage Electronic auctions Sunday nights on eBay, and things always go for big dollars, at least one full page of $10k and up auctions close that night.

I wonder if I should consider selling AudioGon for audio stuff? I've known about it, just never realised AudioGon could compete on that scale. Something to look into.
Old 7th December 2011, 04:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloBug View Post
Just wondering, would you guys consider AudioGon better then eBay for selling HiFi?

I have never used AudioGon, but I watch and sell in the Vintage Electronic auctions Sunday nights on eBay, and things always go for big dollars, at least one full page of $10k and up auctions close that night.

I wonder if I should consider selling AudioGon for audio stuff? I've known about it, just never realised AudioGon could compete on that scale. Something to look into.
Generally I find I have a better time buying and selling audio gear on audiogon, but admit I don't do it very regularly. The huge advantage agon has is the reach it has to audiophile types and the very reasonable cost. Listings used to be just $6 per insertion and would run for 30 days - may be a bit more. No problems with buyers or sellers either. Of course YMMV.. Another option would be to consign them to a local high end shop, but they typically take 30 - 40% right off the top.

eBay is great for the really well known vintage stuff, and for what we call mid-fi, but I don't see as much high end stuff there.
Old 7th December 2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Banned

[QUOTE=kevinkr;2809846
eBay is great for the really well known vintage stuff, and for what we call mid-fi, but I don't see as much high end stuff there.[/QUOTE]

OK gotcha, thanks. When I get something high end again I will try a listing there, the price is right.

I can attest eBay is good for lo/mid fi. Last year I sold a Clairtone 7980 ghettoblaster for $900, I was shocked and was instantly hooked.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:33 PM   #9
npdot is offline npdot  United States
diyAudio Member

Everyone,

Thanks for the helpful information and insights. I poked around the VAC website--beautiful stuff--and down loaded the V100 manual. However, I can't seem to find any performance specs, on any of their gear. Is that "usual" for high-end valve/tube gear? I have test reports on the Marantz reissues.

Also, thanks for the high-end auction options. I'll check them out.

In the next few days I should be able to put the V100s on my bench for some measurements. I'll post the results.

Regards to all,
Neel
Old 7th December 2011, 06:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Neel, please post some pictures too. Haven't been able to find any online..

On the specs thing it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I used to publish the specs for my commercial designs, but many don't.. My suspicion is a good many high end products don't measure very well, and at least in the past many of the smaller vendors also did not have good test gear. ARC and CJ generally published comprehensive specs back in the day when I followed that sort of stuff. Published specs also may be verified by others less than sympathetic to the maker so they had better be conservative..

Hide this!Advertise here!