• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve Amplification Company V100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend just told me that he has two Valve Amplification Company, "Vintage High Power" (V100) 100W amps, that he inherited from a relative. I haven't seen them yet, but he has asked me to sell them for him. My experience with valve audio equipment goes back to the 60's & 70's.

Anyone, please tell me about the Valve Amplification Company, the V100, how much they may be worth, how to go about selling them, anything--please.

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Provided I've got it right, the following should be useful:

Company is located in Sarasota FLA, and is still around.
Contact information here: VAC/VALVE AMPLIFICATION COMPANY - We Build the World's Finest Audio Components

Manual is here: http://www.vac-amps.com/Manual_Vintage_High_Power.pdf

This is the manual for the V100..

I need to tell you these are fairly high value amps and should probably be sold on AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums where they will command a fair price.

No affiliation with any of the above.

Just wondering, would you guys consider AudioGon better then eBay for selling HiFi?

I have never used AudioGon, but I watch and sell in the Vintage Electronic auctions Sunday nights on eBay, and things always go for big dollars, at least one full page of $10k and up auctions close that night.

I wonder if I should consider selling AudioGon for audio stuff? I've known about it, just never realised AudioGon could compete on that scale. Something to look into.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just wondering, would you guys consider AudioGon better then eBay for selling HiFi?

I have never used AudioGon, but I watch and sell in the Vintage Electronic auctions Sunday nights on eBay, and things always go for big dollars, at least one full page of $10k and up auctions close that night.

I wonder if I should consider selling AudioGon for audio stuff? I've known about it, just never realised AudioGon could compete on that scale. Something to look into.

Generally I find I have a better time buying and selling audio gear on audiogon, but admit I don't do it very regularly. The huge advantage agon has is the reach it has to audiophile types and the very reasonable cost. Listings used to be just $6 per insertion and would run for 30 days - may be a bit more. No problems with buyers or sellers either. Of course YMMV.. Another option would be to consign them to a local high end shop, but they typically take 30 - 40% right off the top.

eBay is great for the really well known vintage stuff, and for what we call mid-fi, but I don't see as much high end stuff there.

kevinkr;2809846 eBay is great for the really well known vintage stuff said:
OK gotcha, thanks. When I get something high end again I will try a listing there, the price is right.

I can attest eBay is good for lo/mid fi. Last year I sold a Clairtone 7980 ghettoblaster for $900, I was shocked and was instantly hooked.

Everyone,

Thanks for the helpful information and insights. I poked around the VAC website--beautiful stuff--and down loaded the V100 manual. However, I can't seem to find any performance specs, on any of their gear. Is that "usual" for high-end valve/tube gear? I have test reports on the Marantz reissues.

Also, thanks for the high-end auction options. I'll check them out.

In the next few days I should be able to put the V100s on my bench for some measurements. I'll post the results.

Regards to all,
Neel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Neel, please post some pictures too. Haven't been able to find any online.. :D

On the specs thing it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I used to publish the specs for my commercial designs, but many don't.. My suspicion is a good many high end products don't measure very well, and at least in the past many of the smaller vendors also did not have good test gear. ARC and CJ generally published comprehensive specs back in the day when I followed that sort of stuff. Published specs also may be verified by others less than sympathetic to the maker so they had better be conservative..

Pictures & Perfromance

I had the opportunity to listen to, as well as bench test and photograph both V100s. Not only do they sound great, but they both meet the specs published by the Valve Amplification Company. Namely:

Power & THD at 1K Hz:
· 98 Watts continuous (25.4 Vrms into 6.6 Ohms) at less than 1% THDN, and
· 0.13% (1.0W into 8 Ohms)
· 0.14% (10W into 8 Ohms)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Neel

Attachments

• IMG_1205-c.JPG
    IMG_1205-c.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1207-c.JPG
    IMG_1207-c.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1208-c.JPG
    IMG_1208-c.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1214-c.JPG
    IMG_1214-c.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1218-c.JPG
    IMG_1218-c.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1219-c.JPG
    IMG_1219-c.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1221-c.JPG
    IMG_1221-c.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1220-c.JPG
    IMG_1220-c.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 125
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What kind of iron are they? They look like Hammonds but I'm not aware of a current model that will handle that kind of power.

I suspect that is pretty unlikely while not impossible. Hammond is not really the darling of most high end manufacturers, they could have been made by any number of transformer outfits, my guess would be Heyboer, Triad/Utrad or some other U.S. OEM supplier.

These amps are about 20yrs old as memory serves. The tubes installed in them were quite in vogue in the early 1990s, and caused me a few headaches.

I have that amp

The amp is also known as the "Vintage". You may want to look it up that way instead of "v100". For what it's worth, if you like audio I would keep it. I have it hooked up to a Classe pre, Muse SACD and Opera Callas Gold speakers, and the VAC made a HUGE difference when I substituted it out for a pair of VTL Deluxe 140 monoblocks. I think the resale on it (if your amp is what I think it is) is probably around $2500-$3500 depending on condition. It has a gold plate on the front, right? Good luck.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Update:

I posted an ad on Audiogon for $3000 plus shipping and just got an offer for $2500, shipped. Should I take it?

Neel

Only you really know the answer to that question, but it is sufficient money to be taken as a serious offer. This could be the right and possibly only buyer over a long period of time.

It took me 3 years to sell my last set of amps, and I ultimately sold them for a bit less than I had planned, but they are no longer deteriorating and taking up space in my storage cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.