• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best sounding voltage amplifier for hybride.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I have tested al kind of voltage amps for hybride driving, but what is in yours opinion the best way to create a preamplifier with big swing for driving the cathodefollower of the hybride.
I mean a tube preamp, the old ones seems to sound best.

I have tryed a lot, but she bites not each other very much, so I go soon staring with a new way, a compound amp with mosfets driver be a tube, al parts amplify a bit there is not a kathodefollower or drainfollower, I think warmth is because of amplifying also with tubes de kt88 and so on amplify.

I can remember me some that was also a a amplifying power stage who sounds a lot better then the common sourche or emmitor follower who has so much geedback on his own.

be followed.

I have try aikido, it is indeed very neutral, but I miss warmth, here I have a sound peace of the amp I now use, a hybride with dc coupled el84 to mosfets, a tracker for offset and a aikido like voltage amplifier.

here some audio samples if you can see it because youtube has block it worldwide richts are the problem, child behavior of them, it was blocked in minutes after put it there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyqKZqDMtW4

I have also my shipment from russia, al kinds of tubes in it, so I can experiment, the supply trafo is already ready, wound it myself.

And if I succeed my dog guard it.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 29 14.27.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 29 14.27.gif
    102.1 KB · Views: 602
  • ATT0001578 (1).jpg
    ATT0001578 (1).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 598
  • hybride.gif
    hybride.gif
    141.7 KB · Views: 609
Make a casode amp. NMOS fet at the bottom and triode (say 6N1P) at the upstairs.
Very linear up to 200 Vpp out (with 400 V supply voltage).
Should be enough for most purposes.

why not a cascode with the use of both triodes? without a fet.

I go test this afternoon, there is rain here so, nothing else can be done.

thanks all for your advise keep posting in our run for perfect audio.

more and more, whole tube amps seems the best.

Then make a amplifying stage with a single triode and use low supply voltage. You'll get a lot of sound.

No just don,t use feedback, and I need power for my transission lines, it need power and so I use this on the moment.

the normal SRPP works best until now, and so I try to find a update again, that is this hobby, the end is never near.

Attachments

• hybride.gif
    hybride.gif
    141.7 KB · Views: 548
The amplifier hybride who now play in my home I put here the distortion measured.

the amp has the 6H9C as mu folllower with white 6N6P dc coupled to mosfets.

sound here but youtube has remove a lot of detail, and please patient when loading there is something wrong with the upload.

highervoltage6H9C - YouTube

it sounds quite good, have low distortion only of 2e harmonic who is -60 db the others I cant see in noise of pc audio chip.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 07 19.35.gif
    ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 07 19.35.gif
    129.7 KB · Views: 394
  • now-working-at-home.gif
    now-working-at-home.gif
    83.6 KB · Views: 399
Well after listening and ask advise on others in youtube, the cascode 6H8C and srpp 6H8C sounds the best, I have not the mustage, and after all it sounds to hars and to clinic, I have made more of them with more tube types and all have very low distortion and have not a good soundstage, always the srpp and cascode (juicy tubes) came out as best, with 6H8C the cascode works fine, also the 6H9C seems to have a very smal soundstage and sound hars even after long play and high voltage, in the beginning it seems oke, but no, after a while I get tyred of them.

Now I go try 6N1P and 6N2P in only cascode or srpp, depent of mu she have.

Are there some here who has experience with MU stages, I mean then real mu stages with extra capacitor to upper tube.

Hi There

I have now put in the 6C4N-EB high gm tube loaded on a mosfet gyrator, (maybe a bjt is better here? lower capacitance) put the idle on 10 mA 300 volt total voltage 150 for the tube 150 for gyrator, square wave is 20 khz on movie en distortion -60dB only second and thirt.

The sound is very good better then the cascode who did slew to much,, the mustage who was to hars and srpp not enough amplying.

here you can listen to it give me a hind about the sound, it is compressed by youtube so it is not pure anymore but can give some idea.

thanks.

6C4N-EB gyrator loaded plate follower - YouTube

Euhh I need a other mosfet, zvp has to low dissipation.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 21 14.44.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 21 14.44.gif
    78.3 KB · Views: 121
  • ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 20 14.59.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 20 14.59.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Aahh put some live here.

I have tryed a penthode the russian 6J51P not as triode but as a real penthode.

the hybrid sounds different as with triodes and I do like the sound as you see in distortions it has only 2the harmonic on output of mosfet power stage, it sounds warm, but has a big bite, recordings are a important thing here otherwise it sounds very good.

penthode is on 10mA and G2 on 2 mA, with capacitor to earth.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 08 11.57.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 08 11.57.gif
    165.8 KB · Views: 118
  • ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 08 18.16.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 08 18.16.gif
    62.7 KB · Views: 81
some told me that a cascode best is with a mosfet and a tube, then distortion is low, gm of mosfet is much higher then a tube, see 3 pictures.

also srpp with ccs between has low distortion.

two mosfets also words nicely in simulation.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 06 16.58.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 06 16.58.gif
    101.8 KB · Views: 73
  • ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 10 14.33.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 10 14.33.gif
    17.6 KB · Views: 118
  • ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 10 14.37.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 10 14.37.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 117
Live again here, new designs who work, very good, on these I go stick, and build them, I like the sound and special the very big dynamics and soundstage, even the loudspeakers has big deal with them, here I need strong good speakers...

One has mu, the other has (a quick change) CCS or voltage follower whatever but no source follower as I say it is cathodefollower less. mosfets has high current and high conductance so a follower here is not a problem, but I go test the sound with the other way CCSvoltage follower, or maybe gyrator.

The first picture is very stable, I can even put in on and off with speaker connected max differend is 300 mv very nice, but I will use a protection in case of tube fault..

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 07 16.38.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 07 16.38.gif
    33.8 KB · Views: 148
  • ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 07 18.33.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 07 18.33.gif
    33.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Hi,
as I read and understand your posts, you say cascode is ok, srpp is better, pentode wins.
But i think cascode elecrically does the same as pentode, is it not true?

I am asking which one sounds better because I have wanted to build some hybrid at past (my simulations showed as best option CommonCathode + CathodeFollower driving MOSFETs, better than MuFollower), but now I have here used Jadis JA-30 monoblocks (which sounds really dark and boring compare to other valve amps I heard here, even much worse then my HQQF amp) and want to completelly rebuild them with some other topology.

I am still thinking about cascode driving directly or via CathodeFollower power stage PP or may be SE with original output transformer (and 6550 tubes).
You meant CF souns bad at your amps... Should I avoid CF completelly?

Last edited:
It is a long time ago, lost of friends and such did let died this thread.

Yes I heard the penthode has some same sound as srpp but type of tube also
has impact, I have not use the penthode anymore but as a triode with a Mu-follower, I have a new
hybride with a dual mu stage, and no more CF, it sounds better, a follower with
a fet give not trouble with sound, it have more muscles.

Oke, I have need to use a mu = 2 driver tube 6C19N driving the mosfets.

The sound I have heart? wel better, more smouth, natural without any stress I do hear with a CF driving the mosfets, a 6C19N have more driving power also.

I did this after a davise of a high end store technician, who tells if done you go not CF anymore.

I can implement feedback (current only I like that much more then voltage) play with many tubes , very nice.

Attachments

• mu-stage hybride.jpg
    mu-stage hybride.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
hi kees, yes a lot of time has passed...:)
so I meantime have rebuilt my Jadis30 monoblocks (already sent post somewhere at this forum), some docu is here (at czech..): perys | perys - Jadis-JA-30_mk2012 ? rajce.net
(in few words: original schematics with boring sound, new schematics with no global feedback and very weak local one, with much much better sound:), some picturs of work, then some squares (at 6550 anode [now going to >300kHz with JJ tubes] and behind output transformer; some spectra as well).
The sound is simply as good as it should be.
I have since never retuned back to solid state... and I think my predecessor amp was quite good, accurate and really fast (going up to approx. 1-2MHz): perys | perys - hqqf_2012 ? rajce.net

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.