• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power transformer primary is open.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Winding is open somewhere between the 125V tap and the 150V tap. I have bridged both taps and secondary voltages seem OK. It does buzz a little, very little....I have to bend down and get my ear close to it to hear the buzz. That may be normal - transformer is old. It doesn't overheat (unloaded). Primary sees 230V (240 tap). Should I worry? Will it fail on me?

Attachments

• TFK_Jubilate9_.jpg
    TFK_Jubilate9_.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 111
Winding is open somewhere between the 125V tap and the 150V tap. I have bridged both taps and secondary voltages seem OK. It does buzz a little, very little....I have to bend down and get my ear close to it to hear the buzz. That may be normal - transformer is old. It doesn't overheat (unloaded). Primary sees 230V (240 tap). Should I worry? Will it fail on me?

Most likely it can be fixed.....The most likely place for the break is in the lead outs from the windings....there will be 2 wires coming out at the 125 tap, the 110 finish and the 125 Start, based on your description it would be the 125 Start lead that is broken.... Or it will be at the finish lead of the 125 where it joins the 150V start lead...
You can look into the side of the paper sections to see if you find this break...you may get lucky and be able to repair it...

Chris

Last edited:
I don't know how some PT's work, I mean I don't understand how the primary can work with all those voltages with only one winding. Am I right if I assume that the 240V tab now it is a 215V one?.

Yes. The slight buzz may be caused by having 230v on what is now a 215v primary. The magnetic core may be saturating on the peak voltage. Do you have access to an oscilloscope? If you do, check the waveform on the secondary winding with a light load. If the sinewave is flat topped then you need to reduce the input voltage somehow to 215v. A wirewound resistor will do the trick. The value depends on the load to the transformer. Once done, it'll be fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.