• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just received the Jadis PCB from Analog Metric, lightning fast --- and I must say I am totally impressed with the quality...It is at least 2mm thick if not more, the tracks are all covered nicely, and there is provision for varying sizes of components --- all nicely tinned etc...

It feels like quite a quality PCB. I have not seen one this well made ever...

Ahhhh, thanks for that Dik ... looks like a super unit ... Of course there is a valve solution ... :)

I just discovered that leaving my valve Matisse pre-amp with ME550 amp 'on' for a couple of hours, warming up --- sounds like a live performance --- quite moving --- listening to a CD of Brooke Fraser 'Flags" --- sensational --- absolutely moving !!! How much better would a impedance matched valve pre-amp sound then.

Last edited:
"...The real pleasure in working with a tube preamp is the sound. Not the sound that comes from a carefully tuned amplifier with perfect input levels and no measurable output distortion — for that, you’d be better off with a solid-state amp. Where a tube amplifier comes to life is when the signal from a guitar or other instrument is heavily distorted – approaching 30% total harmonic distortion or more. Whereas solid-state amps sound harsh when driven to this level of distortion, tube amps have a ‘warm’ sound that’s impossible to exactly replicate with modern electronics. I have a couple solid-state modeling amps that come close to the tube sound, but in a side-by-side experiment, there’s no question that the tube amp provides the best sound. If you’re into bass or guitar and searching for your tone, you’ll more likely find it in a tube amp than in a more technologically sophisticated (and typically cheaper) solid-state amp."

Nuts And Volts

"...The real pleasure in working with a tube preamp is the sound. <snip>

Absolute, unmitigated twaddle. You have fallen into the classic trap of assuming that:

Valves = good
SS = bad.

This is just as stupid as saying:

SS = good
Valves = bad.

There are good valve preamps and shockers. There are good SS preamps and shockers. Just because a product has a valve inside, there is no guarantee that it will be good (or bad).

Passive preamp, or the lightspeed

Looks like a good idea from a purist perspective. Caveat is high input impendance on the amp side ie: 50K. The ME550 is very low input impedance.

In addition, the assumption is that the source signal-processor and/or pathway is ideal. This is not always the case. I have found a valve buffer to 'improve' the source signal in some instances, but in particular being placed in the pathway of pre-amp to amp in general SS scenarios with some amplifiers, improving the sound.

I did have a CD player once, the NAD5000, which had variable outputs, and I directly connected them to the ME550 amp at the time. The sound was quite dynamic and clean. I daresay however, that an improvement would have been made had a valve buffer been placed in the pathway...I still have that CD player, and will attempt to repair it and experiment...

I can't stop listening to the simple Matisse valve buffer as preamp. It sounds better the more I listen to it. This one is brand new, and its sounding smoother the more I play it, with a 'live realism'.... (I have 2 - this one is stock std)

Im wondering if 'the simpler the better' might be the case. Its such a basic circuit. How can it sound so good?

The Jadis JP200 has good feedback comments : I am looking forward to implementing it with some audio transformers to match impedance. I don't believe I will be disappointed. Its actually a 2.5mm thick pcb.

Im totally converted to the merits of the valve sound (where well designed) - in the context of hybrid to SS amp.
The modified (interim) TC-750 SS phono-preamp (In use with NAD T773) rolled-over with Elna Silmic II caps
- I am replacing it with a valve phono pre-amp down the track - and will have it as a spare (always handy).

I am yet to experiment with valve main amps, but that is a long way off - Im pleasantly surprised with this combo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.