• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you listened to it with AD825?

Not that particular unit, but I've used the AD825 in many upgrades. It is a superb chip. Fabulous value for money, but hardly competitive with the preamp I'm suggesting to Tigerscent. The preamp I'm suggesting is full discrete transistor, using zero global NFB. It eclipses every OP amp based preamp I've ever seen (and most valved units as well).

How do you know it will improve the sound?

Because silver conducts more efficiently - moreso than copper or gold or nickel, and every time I have used it, I notice a 'airy-er' quality with more precision/detail and sense of realism in the soundstage. I have rewired a pair of ProAC tablettes using pure 99.9% silver annealed, and the difference is a noticable crispness in the output.

I experimented with putting the same silver strips in the + terminals output stage of the 550 bolted onto the circuit board rather tightly, and the sound was actually more transparent and richer to a noticable degree. Peter suggested if I was going to use silver strips; that I use them on the negative polarity also, in fact from what I recall.

Its good to see you are onboard regarding the valve pre-amp : we really need your expertise to get it up and running, and then compare with the ME preamp, which is my plan in fact, so we can document the results and comparison. I am waiting on the Jadis inspired clone. I am looking forward to your further suggestions in getting it successfully off the ground with total and optimal inductance matching with zero distortion and compromise.

I know we can do it, with your expertise in the equation.

Last edited:
No. Read my words again.

Oh, how dissapointing - and here I was communicating the fact that you were indicating using silver strips in the ME pre-amp. I am certain however, were you to try it, that you would notice a significant enough difference, at least to the order of a minimum of 5% overall improvement in the realism and dynamism of the sound, if not 10 to 15%. Try it, with the right grade and treated silver.

There is however, a certain science and method to preparing the silver strips for audio with regards to annealing the silver before use.

Last edited:
Because silver conducts more efficiently - moreso than copper or gold or nickel

Silver is 7% more conductive than copper. A marginal improvement which can easily be addressed by using 7% more copper.
, and every time I have used it, I notice a 'airy-er' quality with more precision/detail and sense of realism in the soundstage. I have rewired a pair of ProAC tablettes using pure 99.9% silver annealed, and the difference is a noticable crispness in the output.

I experimented with putting the same silver strips in the + terminals output stage of the 550 bolted onto the circuit board rather tightly, and the sound was actually more transparent and richer to a noticable degree. Peter suggested if I was going to use silver strips; that I use them on the negative polarity also, in fact from what I recall.

Its good to see you are onboard regarding the valve pre-amp :

I AM NOT ONBOARD WITH THE VALVE PREAMP.

Is that clear enough?

You are wasting your time. Use an ME preamp with your ME550. It will provide far superior results, compared you some home-built POS. You cannot hope to achieve the results that are possible with an ME preamp using some crap you bought off eBay.

we really need your expertise to get it up and running, and then compare with the ME preamp,

I am not going to assist you with getting some POS valve preamp to do what it was never intended to do. I will loan you an ME preamp, anytime you wish. Unless you are prepared to pay for my time, I will not be assisting you with your POS valve preamp. I run a business. My time is valuable and I tire of those who fail to listen to what I say.

which is my plan in fact, so we can document the results and comparison. I am waiting on the Jadis inspired clone. I am looking forward to your further suggestions in getting it successfully off the ground with total and optimal inductance matching with zero distortion and compromise.

I've told you what you need to do. It is now up to you.

I know we can do it, with your expertise in the equation.

Not gonna happen. Use an ME preamp.

Oh, how dissapointing - and here I was communicating the fact that you were indicating using silver strips in the ME pre-amp.

No. There is no benefit in doing so. Many have tried in the past and no improvement was noted under double blind testing situations.

I am certain however, were you to try it, that you would notice a significant enough difference, at least to the order of a minimum of 5% overall improvement in the realism and dynamism of the sound, if not 10 to 15%. Try it, with the right grade and treated silver.

I have better things to do with my time.

There is however, a certain science and method to preparing the silver strips for audio with regards to annealing the silver before use.

Uh-huh.

So Zaph; what happened? you were oboard before and so keen to help with the valve pre-amp and related issues, showing great concern about performance and offering suggestions for improvement - what changed? I know you found it challenging, but now is not the time to get faint-hearted...

We need you to stay onboard and see this whole thing through..., and not jump ship halfway through...

I was looking forward to your ideas/design regarding a SS buffer section for the valve pre-amp. Im sure you could come up with something fairly quickly. You need to take heart, eat well and continue on in the pioneering spirit of progress - this is how things happen and the world is changed.

You, in a small way, are part of that progress and change..., and we are looking forward to your input, advanced thinking and design ideas...

Last edited:
So Zaph; what happened?

Nothing happened. You just don't read what I write. You need an ME preamp, or similar, low output impedance SS preamp. A valve preamp will not do the job. AT THE VERY LEAST, you need to try a suitable preamp BEFORE you embark on your silly project.

you were oboard before and so keen to help with the valve pre-amp and related issues,

No, I was not. Not ever. I was trying to point out just how stupid your idea was. I have now ceased using polite language, so you do not misunderstand my words.

showing great concern about performance and offering suggestions for improvement - what changed? I know you found it challenging, but now is not the time to get faint-hearted...

I see it as a complete waste of my valuable time. You seem unable to listen to what I am saying to you.

We need you to stay onboard and see this whole thing through..., and not jump ship halfway through...

I was looking forward to your ideas/design regarding a SS buffer section for the valve pre-amp. Im sure you could come up with something fairly quickly. You need to take heart, eat well and continue on in the pioneering spirit of progress - this is how things happen and the world is changed.

You, in a small way, are part of that progress and change..., and we are looking forward to your input, advanced thinking and design ideas...

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Just buy or borrow a suitably low output impedance SS preamp. Job done. Stop wasting my time and yours with silly notions.

...well, this conversation has inspired me to pull out a 2nd buffer valve pre-amp I had (which I was saving for another amp), and just using cheap rca cables, I connected it to the ME 550 and played some FLAC files, ie: Ricky Lee Jones and CD of Dark Side of the Moon --- and I was rather amazed at the crisp life-likeness of the sound. I was using the same buffer between the pre-and-main amp outputs of a NAD T773; and the ME 550 with the same valve buffer --- left it for dead..., in terms of definition, clarity and dynamism..., says a lot about the ME 550 actually, as the same valve buffer was used with the NAD...It would be interesting to compare with the ME pre-amp actually....hmmmm

...just a cheap Guanzo valve buffer: amazing tho, when you think about it, with all the considerations of impedance etc, that it can still sound so good, clear and crisp --- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290646314971?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

...I was using ProAC tablettes with the NAD, and just a basic pair of Celestion DL6's with the ME 550...I have used the DL6's with the NAD, and it did not sound like that...hmmm

Last edited:
Nothing happened. You just don't read what I write. You need an ME preamp, or similar, low output impedance SS preamp. A valve preamp will not do the job. AT THE VERY LEAST, you need to try a suitable preamp BEFORE you embark on your silly project.

...well, the Guanzo valve buffer I just tried clearly indicates it is anything but a 'silly project', but quite the opposite..., there was a very 'life-like' crispness and dynamism to the sound...

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Just buy or borrow a suitably low output impedance SS preamp. Job done. Stop wasting my time and yours with silly notions.

...I am not wasting my time whatsoever, but it has been a valuable learning experience - with my latest experiement. To flippantly discard the idea and not try it, would IMO be unwise in itself...

...as I said, I would try the ME pre-amp down the track...

...but I will pursue this..., as it has shown to have much potential in this area...

Tiger, you realise you're making a fool out of yourself with these faux-motivational messages you're giving a guy who was clear in his message from the outset? To say he's changed his mind is farcical.

...and I have been (quite patiently) clear from the outset, that this is what I wish to pursue and try - a valve preamp with the ME 550 - over and over again: that is what this thread is about : what could be clearer than that !!

...while I appreciate suggestions in terms of what may give better performance, this IS about using a valve pre-amp with a ME SS amp..., and how to overcome obstacles in doing so - its not about 'giving up'...

...that should have been clear from the outset...:cool:

I just hooked up the NAD T773 with the same valve buffer between the pre-and-main (stereo) circuits, and listened to the same music with ProAC tablettes and sub-woofer; and although detail and soundstage was clearly there, the detailed-dynamism and crisp life-like sound found in the valve buffer pre-amp combination with the ME 550 (with Celestion DL6's only) was just not there...

I keep dreaming of hooking up the ME550 with valve buffer again (while listening to my NAD)...I have tried a NAD 7150 front end on the 550, and it was nowhere near as good as the valve buffer pre-amp combination with the ME 550...Clearly a valve pre-amp can sound pretty good on an ME amp - at least this one did.

It really goes to show, how good the ME gear really is. I do believe the ME pre-amp, going by this experiment - would sound sensational, as the ME 550 amp certainly does..., and this experiment has revealed the greater potential of the ME 550 compared to previous combinations.

I am somewhat excited about trying the ME 15 or 25 now to compare..., and also trying other valve pre-amps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.