Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 12:33 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Others who have experimented with valve pre-amps and SS amps speak of significant improvements, google searching has revealed. I think I am on the right track here..., will need to carefully weigh and consider every step...., and rely on my good helpful friends on here to guide me on my semi-pioneering journey into the esoteric unknown of valve/SS hybrid bliss

Quote: "... transformer coupled output on the pre or a follower type output will be almost mandatory. Another option is use of very low Rp tubes in the output stage of the preamp..." mike from AK.

Quote: "...I recently bought A older tube preamp built in the early 60s by the Stedman Radio Laboratories and connected it to my Sansui AU-717
main amp in jacks and I was very surprised at the major improvement in sound out of the Sansui SS amp. I know others have also had great
success with tube preamps and SS power amps ..." 'broken hill from AK.

Last edited by TigerScent; 12th January 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12th January 2013, 12:41 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Of course. Transformers introduce phase shift, frequency response errors, distortion, etc. Nothing is without (audible) cost.
....so Zaph; what do you think of these other options with regards to lowering the valve impedance output to match, aside from the transformer idea? which would be the most preferrable?

ie: "....a follower type output will be almost mandatory. Another option is use of very low Rp tubes in the output stage of the preamp...."
Old 12th January 2013, 05:00 AM   #83
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
would a ss buffer and standard tube pre work?
Old 12th January 2013, 07:15 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
would a ss buffer and standard tube pre work?
Of course. MUCH better than a transformer. Still, what's the point of adding a distortion producing preamp to a 'distortionless' amplifier?
Old 12th January 2013, 08:58 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Of course. MUCH better than a transformer. Still, what's the point of adding a distortion producing preamp to a 'distortionless' amplifier?
ahhhhh, but...remember 'Jonathan Livingstone Seagull'..., they told him he couldn't fly --- to stay within the confines of 'convention'...., within the 'herd mentality'....

...we are embarking on a journey, Zaph, .... you and I - and others involved..., outside the square of convention --- of 'herd mentality'...., we are about to fly --- with this innovative idea, of combining the unthinkable, the inconceivable --- and to some; even 'heretical' innovative - radical thought; of mixing the old technology with the new...., yet....with your expertise and ever-enduring good intent --- I am totally confident we can make it, and fly....beyond convention --- to greater unthinkable heights of sonic expression....

I know we can do it

So, how do you propose to add a SS buffer to the valve preamp I indicated I am building --- and please include schematics and detailed instructions.

Thanks again for your participation in this project and your unparalled expertise...

Last edited by TigerScent; 12th January 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Save yourself the journey and the hassles of departure, Tigerscent.

My Cymer Pre amp sounds wonderful with an ME50 (superior version of the ME550).

Likewise, the ME25 sounds marvelous with the Cymer power amp.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:09 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
Save yourself the journey and the hassles of departure, Tigerscent.

My Cymer Pre amp sounds wonderful with an ME50 (superior version of the ME550).

Likewise, the ME25 sounds marvelous with the Cymer power amp.
Don't forget Mr Rogers: Your ME50 has a high input impedance and will work with any preamp.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:58 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Yes that's correct, Zaphod.

The point is ME pre and power amplifiers have been matched with valve pre and power amplifiers before.

No new ground to discover.
Old 14th January 2013, 03:19 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
Yes that's correct, Zaphod.

The point is ME pre and power amplifiers have been matched with valve pre and power amplifiers before.

No new ground to discover.
The 'new ground' in this instance - is to discover an innovative way of matching a low impedance 550 with a higher impedance valve pre and get it to work without any compromise in sound quality...
Old 14th January 2013, 03:24 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
The 'new ground' in this instance - is to discover an innovative way of matching a low impedance 550 with a higher impedance valve pre and get it to work without any compromise in sound quality...
Not possible. The valve preamps you have submitted already compromise sound quality. In any case, you'll never know if a sound quality compromise has been made, until you hear the preamp that the ME550 was designed to be used with. I fail to understand your reluctance to listen.

It IS possible to build a valve preamp without compromising sound quality, but the cost (of construction) will far outstrip the cost of a second hand ME preamp. Examine a Conrad Johnson Premier 16 sometime and you will see just how much effort is required to build a no-compromise valve preamp. The toys you can buy on eBay barely scratch the surface.

Hide this!Advertise here!