Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 04:35 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNarn View Post
Douglas Self has discussed the effects of source resistance in ''Electronics World" of May 2003 and that article provides useful information on the subject.
Do you have a link to this article? or a pdf you can upload?
Old 18th January 2013, 05:18 AM   #142
diyAudio Member

...am I reading correctly? Did he say below 1 ohm?

"The frequency response is nearly flat, it doesn't matter if the load is 150 or 32 ohm, the internal resistance is below 1 ohm, the THD are typically for a tube with a lot of second harmonics (K2). They only rise over 5 % even at the output's limit, and below this threshold they decrease linear below 0.1 %."

If that is correct, then surely this would be perfectly matched to the ME550...with regards to impedance.

...but then again, he does say min output impedance = 32 ohms. Still, its pretty low...

Mini Dual Tube Headphone Amp "Blue Velvet" Edition from Mr Nixie | eBay

Last edited by TigerScent; 18th January 2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:51 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Well, I just received the Jadis PCB from Analog Metric, lightning fast --- and I must say I am totally impressed with the quality...It is at least 2mm thick if not more, the tracks are all covered nicely, and there is provision for varying sizes of components --- all nicely tinned etc...

It feels like quite a quality PCB. I have not seen one this well made ever...
Old 18th January 2013, 08:40 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

The World Designs pre3 kit has an output impedance of about 10ohms, and balanced outputs as an option.
World Designs Preamplifiers

My connection with them is only as a customer (of both the pre3 and phono3 kits) and occasional poster on their forum.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:49 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dik Dolan View Post
The World Designs pre3 kit has an output impedance of about 10ohms, and balanced outputs as an option.
World Designs Preamplifiers

My connection with them is only as a customer (of both the pre3 and phono3 kits) and occasional poster on their forum.
Ahhhh, thanks for that Dik ... looks like a super unit ... Of course there is a valve solution ...

I just discovered that leaving my valve Matisse pre-amp with ME550 amp 'on' for a couple of hours, warming up --- sounds like a live performance --- quite moving --- listening to a CD of Brooke Fraser 'Flags" --- sensational --- absolutely moving !!! How much better would a impedance matched valve pre-amp sound then.

Last edited by TigerScent; 18th January 2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 10:45 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

No preamp would be even better!!
Old 18th January 2013, 11:02 AM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
No preamp would be even better!!
'trolling' again are we !!
Old 18th January 2013, 11:06 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
'trolling' again are we !!
??

Read the earlier posts from other members...you need a wire only.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:38 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
??

Read the earlier posts from other members...you need a wire only.
No volume control nor variable output - explain your statement

Last edited by TigerScent; 18th January 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:30 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

"...The real pleasure in working with a tube preamp is the sound. Not the sound that comes from a carefully tuned amplifier with perfect input levels and no measurable output distortion — for that, you’d be better off with a solid-state amp. Where a tube amplifier comes to life is when the signal from a guitar or other instrument is heavily distorted – approaching 30% total harmonic distortion or more. Whereas solid-state amps sound harsh when driven to this level of distortion, tube amps have a ‘warm’ sound that’s impossible to exactly replicate with modern electronics. I have a couple solid-state modeling amps that come close to the tube sound, but in a side-by-side experiment, there’s no question that the tube amp provides the best sound. If you’re into bass or guitar and searching for your tone, you’ll more likely find it in a tube amp than in a more technologically sophisticated (and typically cheaper) solid-state amp."

Nuts And Volts

Hide this!Advertise here!