Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 06:21 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
The finest Australian made valve preamplifiers are made by Elson Silva from Cymer.

If you don't want an ME25 your second best choice is a Cymer.
What is the output impedance of the Cymer? Much more than 100 Ohms and it will be hopelessly inadequate. Much less than 10 Ohms and it will be fine.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:22 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

About 1200, I think.
Old 16th January 2013, 06:47 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

...sounds like I am going to have to audition the ME25..., after hearing that valve preamp buffer - its motivating me to audition the ME25 preamp - after hearing the greater potential of the ME550 with the valve preamp -

Last edited by TigerScent; 16th January 2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 09:19 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Tiger, why not make your life a little easier by getting an ME25 for your ME550 or swapping your ME550 for an ME50 / ME75 and a valve preamp of your choice?

You'll be much happier with that combination and you'll get Zaphod's approval. Deal?
Old 16th January 2013, 11:07 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRogers View Post
Tiger, why not make your life a little easier by getting an ME25 for your ME550 or swapping your ME550 for an ME50 / ME75 and a valve preamp of your choice?

You'll be much happier with that combination and you'll get Zaphod's approval. Deal?
Its unfortunate that our friend Zaphod is getting somewhat anxious by this whole affair, which in fact is a pioneering spirit destined to be initiated 'outside the square' of convention..., and was not forseen in its inception of having the potential to create what appears to be severe 'angst' to our friend Zaphod.

I did rather enjoy the valve preamp sound from that very 'budget' buffer amp tho, however I do suspect that the ME25 will sound better. I will just have to audition it and hear for myself...The ME550 is rather good I must say, and I have not played it, only once or twice, since I had it refurbished and modified to be more like an upgraded model by Peter Stein.

The valve buffer does its magic in the NAD T773 rather well though, transparancy and soundstage is quite good and clear, the ME550 just does it better...
Old 17th January 2013, 02:35 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Just tried using the NAD T773 (front-main stereo channel) pre-amp connected to Guanzo Valve Buffer and ME550. LP disc sounds crisp, clear and detailed - very CD like - in fact it sounds more like a CD - than a CD - in terms of detail and dynamic crisp presence etc... like a boron, ruby or diamond cantelever feel to it...

I did modify a few things tho on the first valve buffer which is what I used this time

Be interesting to compare with ME25 ..., I imagine it would reveal a more airy soundstage with dynamic realism and inky black background silence ... hmmmmm

Last edited by TigerScent; 17th January 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 04:20 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

...on playing a few LP's, some sound amazing, others sound tinny - odd : I need to look into this more deeply...Its become quite an issue now...What could be causing the variation?
Old 17th January 2013, 04:35 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
...on playing a few LP's, some sound amazing, others sound tinny - odd : I need to look into this more deeply...Its become quite an issue now...What could be causing the variation?
The ME550 is completely accurate. In computer parlance: GIGO. (Garbage In, Garbage Out)
Old 17th January 2013, 04:36 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Perhaps changing the buffer/preamp too frequently? Either that or schizophrenia.....
Old 17th January 2013, 04:51 AM   #130
diyAudio Member

...must be the recordings...; or because of the variation in impedance, could some sounds/frequencies be more dominant than others?

...well, I have to be honest with my observations --- and they were two effects when combining the NAD T773 pre-amp with valve buffer with different LP's.

...anyway, just very loose experimentation while awaiting the ME25, and valve pre-amp kits to arrive and be put together and auditioned with transformer coupling to lower impedance and compare. The valve buffer on its own was still a very interesting result. Its early days yet for a defined conclusion.

Last edited by TigerScent; 17th January 2013 at 05:14 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!