Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 09:09 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

So Zaph; what happened? you were oboard before and so keen to help with the valve pre-amp and related issues, showing great concern about performance and offering suggestions for improvement - what changed? I know you found it challenging, but now is not the time to get faint-hearted...

We need you to stay onboard and see this whole thing through..., and not jump ship halfway through...

I was looking forward to your ideas/design regarding a SS buffer section for the valve pre-amp. Im sure you could come up with something fairly quickly. You need to take heart, eat well and continue on in the pioneering spirit of progress - this is how things happen and the world is changed.

You, in a small way, are part of that progress and change..., and we are looking forward to your input, advanced thinking and design ideas...

Last edited by TigerScent; 15th January 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:02 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
So Zaph; what happened?
Nothing happened. You just don't read what I write. You need an ME preamp, or similar, low output impedance SS preamp. A valve preamp will not do the job. AT THE VERY LEAST, you need to try a suitable preamp BEFORE you embark on your silly project.

Quote:

you were oboard before and so keen to help with the valve pre-amp and related issues,
No, I was not. Not ever. I was trying to point out just how stupid your idea was. I have now ceased using polite language, so you do not misunderstand my words.

Quote:
showing great concern about performance and offering suggestions for improvement - what changed? I know you found it challenging, but now is not the time to get faint-hearted...
I see it as a complete waste of my valuable time. You seem unable to listen to what I am saying to you.

Quote:

We need you to stay onboard and see this whole thing through..., and not jump ship halfway through...

I was looking forward to your ideas/design regarding a SS buffer section for the valve pre-amp. Im sure you could come up with something fairly quickly. You need to take heart, eat well and continue on in the pioneering spirit of progress - this is how things happen and the world is changed.

You, in a small way, are part of that progress and change..., and we are looking forward to your input, advanced thinking and design ideas...
Yadda, yadda, yadda. Just buy or borrow a suitably low output impedance SS preamp. Job done. Stop wasting my time and yours with silly notions.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:15 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

...well, this conversation has inspired me to pull out a 2nd buffer valve pre-amp I had (which I was saving for another amp), and just using cheap rca cables, I connected it to the ME 550 and played some FLAC files, ie: Ricky Lee Jones and CD of Dark Side of the Moon --- and I was rather amazed at the crisp life-likeness of the sound. I was using the same buffer between the pre-and-main amp outputs of a NAD T773; and the ME 550 with the same valve buffer --- left it for dead..., in terms of definition, clarity and dynamism..., says a lot about the ME 550 actually, as the same valve buffer was used with the NAD...It would be interesting to compare with the ME pre-amp actually....hmmmm

...just a cheap Guanzo valve buffer: amazing tho, when you think about it, with all the considerations of impedance etc, that it can still sound so good, clear and crisp --- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290646314...84.m1438.l2649

...I was using ProAC tablettes with the NAD, and just a basic pair of Celestion DL6's with the ME 550...I have used the DL6's with the NAD, and it did not sound like that...hmmm

Last edited by TigerScent; 15th January 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:18 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Tiger, you realise you're making a fool out of yourself with these faux-motivational messages you're giving a guy who was clear in his message from the outset? To say he's changed his mind is farcical.
Old 15th January 2013, 11:03 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Nothing happened. You just don't read what I write. You need an ME preamp, or similar, low output impedance SS preamp. A valve preamp will not do the job. AT THE VERY LEAST, you need to try a suitable preamp BEFORE you embark on your silly project.
...well, the Guanzo valve buffer I just tried clearly indicates it is anything but a 'silly project', but quite the opposite..., there was a very 'life-like' crispness and dynamism to the sound...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Yadda, yadda, yadda. Just buy or borrow a suitably low output impedance SS preamp. Job done. Stop wasting my time and yours with silly notions.
...I am not wasting my time whatsoever, but it has been a valuable learning experience - with my latest experiement. To flippantly discard the idea and not try it, would IMO be unwise in itself...

...as I said, I would try the ME pre-amp down the track...

...but I will pursue this..., as it has shown to have much potential in this area...
Old 15th January 2013, 11:08 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Tiger, you realise you're making a fool out of yourself with these faux-motivational messages you're giving a guy who was clear in his message from the outset? To say he's changed his mind is farcical.
...and I have been (quite patiently) clear from the outset, that this is what I wish to pursue and try - a valve preamp with the ME 550 - over and over again: that is what this thread is about : what could be clearer than that !!

...while I appreciate suggestions in terms of what may give better performance, this IS about using a valve pre-amp with a ME SS amp..., and how to overcome obstacles in doing so - its not about 'giving up'...

...that should have been clear from the outset...
Old 15th January 2013, 11:42 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

This Quad 22 looks interesting too:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

...as does this one...

Buffer 6N3+6Z1/6Z4 Tube Preamp AMP Amplifier Assembled Great Sound Quality NEW | eBay
Old 16th January 2013, 12:21 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

I just hooked up the NAD T773 with the same valve buffer between the pre-and-main (stereo) circuits, and listened to the same music with ProAC tablettes and sub-woofer; and although detail and soundstage was clearly there, the detailed-dynamism and crisp life-like sound found in the valve buffer pre-amp combination with the ME 550 (with Celestion DL6's only) was just not there...

I keep dreaming of hooking up the ME550 with valve buffer again (while listening to my NAD)...I have tried a NAD 7150 front end on the 550, and it was nowhere near as good as the valve buffer pre-amp combination with the ME 550...Clearly a valve pre-amp can sound pretty good on an ME amp - at least this one did.

It really goes to show, how good the ME gear really is. I do believe the ME pre-amp, going by this experiment - would sound sensational, as the ME 550 amp certainly does..., and this experiment has revealed the greater potential of the ME 550 compared to previous combinations.

I am somewhat excited about trying the ME 15 or 25 now to compare..., and also trying other valve pre-amps.

Last edited by TigerScent; 16th January 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 16th January 2013, 01:31 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I made the original suggestion he endorsed..

I thought it was reasonable given the original OP's interest in driving this amplifier with a tube pre-amp.. The version I suggested can drive 64 ohm headphones, but there are still a lot of issues to be considered including things like turn on/turn off transients which could be dealt with using a shunt relay and appropriate timer circuitry, along with appropriate power sequencing of the pre-amp and power amp..

I'd be the first to admit that the idea is not without risk, I have done it with with other solid state amps and tube pre-amps, but nothing with an unbalanced input with a 1K input impedance. He'll have to decide whether or not it is worth the risk - the designer with whom he has contact should be able to provide guidance as to whether or not this is a risky proposition.

Personally I would choose transformer coupling and avoid any risk of dc following the amplifier's input circuitry. One could also do a parafeed output transformer arrangement with the white CF in the Aikido, ratios could be 1:1 to 3:1 for 0 to -10dB of attenuation. The 3:1 would reflect a 9K load to the Aikido which is not a difficult load for the version I suggested, would allow the use of a much smaller and presumably higher quality film coupling cap at the output, and still leave you with about 12dB of gain which is enough for most applications.
This looks promising...I think this guy has a good idea of what to do...I did actually look the Aikido up about a year ago - might revisit it again. Seems like Ill be a busy chap building kits...
Old 16th January 2013, 04:55 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

The finest Australian made valve preamplifiers are made by Elson Silva from Cymer.

If you don't want an ME25 your second best choice is a Cymer.

Hide this!Advertise here!