Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 12:56 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Rod Elliot's preamp is competent, but uninspired.
Have you listened to it with AD825?

Last edited by lordearl; 15th January 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 15th January 2013, 02:19 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
Many.

If you want quite a good one, try Arjen helder's valve preamp - it is hybrid so has a quite a low output impedance and you can play with any number of different valves.

Btw - keep the silver wire for when you acquire a girlfriend. You won't notice it in your amp, but she will love it around her wrist.
I had a look at it. How is it better than this one?:

JP-200 JP200 Valve Tube Preamplifier Amplifier Bare PCB (Stereo), based on Jadis | eBay

This one looks like it would fit the bill, just need audio trans (or maybe 2nd cathode follower?) to lower impedance...

Why do you believe Arjen Helders preamp is better?
Old 15th January 2013, 02:20 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why?
To further improve the sound. Didnt you suggest I put the silver in the preamp rather than the main amp to begin with? ie:

Quote:
I would suggest that the high cost of silver wire could be put into something more meaningful (like a nice, second hand ME preamp).
Old 15th January 2013, 03:15 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
Have you listened to it with AD825?
Not that particular unit, but I've used the AD825 in many upgrades. It is a superb chip. Fabulous value for money, but hardly competitive with the preamp I'm suggesting to Tigerscent. The preamp I'm suggesting is full discrete transistor, using zero global NFB. It eclipses every OP amp based preamp I've ever seen (and most valved units as well).
Old 15th January 2013, 04:09 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
To further improve the sound.
How do you know it will improve the sound?

Quote:

Didnt you suggest I put the silver in the preamp rather than the main amp to begin with? ie:
No. Read my words again.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:16 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not that particular unit,
Should read:

"Not IN that particular unit..."
Old 15th January 2013, 12:22 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How do you know it will improve the sound?
Because silver conducts more efficiently - moreso than copper or gold or nickel, and every time I have used it, I notice a 'airy-er' quality with more precision/detail and sense of realism in the soundstage. I have rewired a pair of ProAC tablettes using pure 99.9% silver annealed, and the difference is a noticable crispness in the output.

I experimented with putting the same silver strips in the + terminals output stage of the 550 bolted onto the circuit board rather tightly, and the sound was actually more transparent and richer to a noticable degree. Peter suggested if I was going to use silver strips; that I use them on the negative polarity also, in fact from what I recall.

Its good to see you are onboard regarding the valve pre-amp : we really need your expertise to get it up and running, and then compare with the ME preamp, which is my plan in fact, so we can document the results and comparison. I am waiting on the Jadis inspired clone. I am looking forward to your further suggestions in getting it successfully off the ground with total and optimal inductance matching with zero distortion and compromise.

I know we can do it, with your expertise in the equation.

Last edited by TigerScent; 15th January 2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:29 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No. Read my words again.
Oh, how dissapointing - and here I was communicating the fact that you were indicating using silver strips in the ME pre-amp. I am certain however, were you to try it, that you would notice a significant enough difference, at least to the order of a minimum of 5% overall improvement in the realism and dynamism of the sound, if not 10 to 15%. Try it, with the right grade and treated silver.

There is however, a certain science and method to preparing the silver strips for audio with regards to annealing the silver before use.

Last edited by TigerScent; 15th January 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 15th January 2013, 07:49 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Because silver conducts more efficiently - moreso than copper or gold or nickel
Silver is 7% more conductive than copper. A marginal improvement which can easily be addressed by using 7% more copper.
Quote:

, and every time I have used it, I notice a 'airy-er' quality with more precision/detail and sense of realism in the soundstage. I have rewired a pair of ProAC tablettes using pure 99.9% silver annealed, and the difference is a noticable crispness in the output.

I experimented with putting the same silver strips in the + terminals output stage of the 550 bolted onto the circuit board rather tightly, and the sound was actually more transparent and richer to a noticable degree. Peter suggested if I was going to use silver strips; that I use them on the negative polarity also, in fact from what I recall.

Its good to see you are onboard regarding the valve pre-amp :
I AM NOT ONBOARD WITH THE VALVE PREAMP.

Is that clear enough?

You are wasting your time. Use an ME preamp with your ME550. It will provide far superior results, compared you some home-built POS. You cannot hope to achieve the results that are possible with an ME preamp using some crap you bought off eBay.

Quote:

we really need your expertise to get it up and running, and then compare with the ME preamp,
I am not going to assist you with getting some POS valve preamp to do what it was never intended to do. I will loan you an ME preamp, anytime you wish. Unless you are prepared to pay for my time, I will not be assisting you with your POS valve preamp. I run a business. My time is valuable and I tire of those who fail to listen to what I say.

Quote:
which is my plan in fact, so we can document the results and comparison. I am waiting on the Jadis inspired clone. I am looking forward to your further suggestions in getting it successfully off the ground with total and optimal inductance matching with zero distortion and compromise.
I've told you what you need to do. It is now up to you.

Quote:

I know we can do it, with your expertise in the equation.
Not gonna happen. Use an ME preamp.
Old 15th January 2013, 07:51 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Oh, how dissapointing - and here I was communicating the fact that you were indicating using silver strips in the ME pre-amp.
No. There is no benefit in doing so. Many have tried in the past and no improvement was noted under double blind testing situations.

Quote:

I am certain however, were you to try it, that you would notice a significant enough difference, at least to the order of a minimum of 5% overall improvement in the realism and dynamism of the sound, if not 10 to 15%. Try it, with the right grade and treated silver.
I have better things to do with my time.

Quote:

There is however, a certain science and method to preparing the silver strips for audio with regards to annealing the silver before use.
Uh-huh.

Hide this!Advertise here!