Best Valve pre-amp match for ME 550 amp - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 04:17 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Not possible. The valve preamps you have submitted already compromise sound quality. In any case, you'll never know if a sound quality compromise has been made, until you hear the preamp that the ME550 was designed to be used with. I fail to understand your reluctance to listen.

It IS possible to build a valve preamp without compromising sound quality, but the cost (of construction) will far outstrip the cost of a second hand ME preamp. Examine a Conrad Johnson Premier 16 sometime and you will see just how much effort is required to build a no-compromise valve preamp. The toys you can buy on eBay barely scratch the surface.
Im certain - If we apply ourselves Zaph, we can do it - that is the challenge, it must be possible...

...and yes, when I rewire the output channel wires with silver wire, I will listen to the pre-amp from you as well...

Last edited by TigerScent; 14th January 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 04:28 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerScent View Post
Im certain - If we apply ourselves Zaph, we can do it - that is the challenge, it must be possible...

...and yes, when I rewire the output channel wires with silver wire, I will listen to the pre-amp from you as well...
Silver wire is merely fiddling with the edges. Why do you imagine silver wire will make any difference? I would suggest that the high cost of silver wire could be put into something more meaningful (like a nice, second hand ME preamp).
Old 14th January 2013, 08:32 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox View Post
Silver wire is merely fiddling with the edges. Why do you imagine silver wire will make any difference? I would suggest that the high cost of silver wire could be put into something more meaningful (like a nice, second hand ME preamp).
Yes, I agree - using the silver wire in a second hand ME preamp would certainly be a significant and meaningful venture - but I also believe it would be meaningful using it in the ME 550 amp

Last edited by TigerScent; 14th January 2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:07 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree - using the silver wire in a second hand ME preamp would certainly be a significant and meaningful venture - but I also believe it would be meaningful using it in the ME 550 amp
Why?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:15 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Start with rod elliott's P88 circuit - it is less than $100 to build, sounds far better than any cheap tube preamp.
Old 14th January 2013, 12:12 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
Start with rod elliott's P88 circuit - it is less than $100 to build, sounds far better than any cheap tube preamp.
Thanks for that - appreciate it, however if (actually when) I use a SS pre-amp, I will clearly go with ME preamps - as far as SS goes, however, I have a fascination with experimenting with a valve preamp at present...., if this one does not work well, then might try another ie: aikido etc...but I am going to get one to work well....
Old 14th January 2013, 09:44 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordearl View Post
Which cheap tube preamps have you compared this circuit with?
Old 14th January 2013, 10:49 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Rod Elliot's preamp is competent, but uninspired. It exhibits a 100 Ohm output impedance and will, accordingly, perform much better than any of the valve preamps you are considering. Like 99.9999% of all preamps (valve and SS), it uses a large amount of global NFB. Your ME550 uses no global NFB, as do all the ME preamps.

Take my offer. Try an ME preamp. You will quickly dispense with your time-wasting exercise.
Old 14th January 2013, 10:50 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why?
Old 15th January 2013, 12:55 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Many.

If you want quite a good one, try Arjen helder's valve preamp - it is hybrid so has a quite a low output impedance and you can play with any number of different valves.

Btw - keep the silver wire for when you acquire a girlfriend. You won't notice it in your amp, but she will love it around her wrist.

Hide this!Advertise here!