Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2003, 11:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EL509 Alternatives for this amp

Well, I just completed my latest amp and am fed up with the quality of available EL509s. Arc overs, open filaments, imbalances and cracked base glass and I have less than an hour on this amp.

Is there an alternative tube I could run, preferably something octal? I am not against changing component values/voltages to swing this as I'd really like to get it going. Attached is the schematic- the Hammond 150 watt xformers are fed with 700v, 150v on the grids. R20/21 are 1k, R18/19 are 10ohm 5w. I know few tubes will probably match performance and I don't necessarily need as high a power as this amp will run, but please, anything but Magnoval

What do you think? Any options? I suppose 6L6GCs are out?

Thanks!
Cory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp.jpg (36.4 KB, 913 views)
Old 11th September 2003, 11:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Is there an alternative tube I could run, preferably something octal?
KT90.

Allow me to say that you must be the first person I hear of having such trouble with EL509 which is known as a very rugged sweep tube...this really surprises me.

Do you have an idea about the manufacturer, origin of the misbehaving EL509s?

Cheers,
Old 11th September 2003, 11:56 PM   #3
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default How About...

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

KT90.

Allow me to say that you must be the first person I hear of having such trouble with EL509 which is known as a very rugged sweep tube...this really surprises me.

Do you have an idea about the manufacturer, origin of the misbehaving EL509s?

Cheers,
12E1 ? Cheap and plentiful newold stock . Octal base , topcap and 35w dissipation . I tested some KT90 a while ago and strangely the things didn't smell very nice when they got hot poooooooeyyy !

ps Cadman : What brand of EL509 did you use ?

316a
Old 12th September 2003, 12:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

...The stories I read?

Just hope you fellas buy your valves wisely, ie. with some return warranty???

Don't buy some new EI Yugo EL509s but opt for the Russian ones.

The KT90 is of course nothing else but an octal version of the EL509 wich had its origin in former Yugoslavia.

Rumour has it that the post war EI QC sucks, so get NOS while stock lasts.

Quote:
12E1 ? Cheap and plentiful newold stock . Octal base , topcap and 35w dissipation
Sounds fine to me, if you're in the U.K...

Cheers,
Old 12th September 2003, 12:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default 12e1

Quote:

Sounds fine to me, if you're in the U.K...

Cheers,
...better still Australia , they're even cheaper over there

316a
Old 12th September 2003, 12:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
...better still Australia , they're even cheaper over there
Because they don't have a Martin Billington over there to push valve prices to stupid limits, right?

Useable for audio, useable for audio, useable for audio, .......................yuk.

Cheers,
Old 12th September 2003, 12:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Not forgetting...

Quote:
Hi,

Because they don't have a Martin Billington over there to push valve prices to stupid limits, right?

Useable for audio, useable for audio, useable for audio, .......................yuk.

Cheers,
...Langrex with the incredible teetering raft of 12E1 ! Mr Billington is a nice chap but he relies on his consultant to decide if the valves are useful or not , saleable is another matter . You're right though , some prices are a little high these days but fine if you're spending 400 quid.... I've heard he's got the most 6AL5 and EF91 in the whole world . Potentially sitting on the shelf and no-where near audio Going back to Ei , I think their stuff is to be avoided these days , smelly KT90 or not . For instance a good way I find of telling if their 12AX7 is going to be a crock of doo-doo is to shake them . Any 'tinkling' rattle then chuck 'em as they're probably going to be microphonic . On the tester most are ****ed-as-a-fart between sections . The few good ones on the other hand are excellent , it's a pity Ei can't sort it out . After all they have the sealex machines from Philips and the tooling . If only they'd take their time to get it right !

316a
Old 12th September 2003, 02:42 AM   #8
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

There seems to be plenty of Svetlana EL509's available on ebay. I would think the Svetlana's would be better than the EI's.

G
Old 12th September 2003, 10:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default EI Tubes

Cory

I'm sitting on 10) EL34 and 10) KT90 tubes that were handpicked at the EI factory this March. I guess I should mention the 20) or so 12AX7's also. Anyway these were tested at the factory by a friend that used to live there. They have not been matched however. It sounds like you are north of me up around Waterloo. I'm near Cedar Rapids. You might want to give these a try.

Joe
Old 12th September 2003, 08:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Joe, good to hear from a fellow enthusiast so close to home, we must be less than an hour away-

The 509s are actually Svets from ebay but there's a thread right now at the transcendent board about the bases cracking. Turns out I'm not alone.

The EL34 sounds like what I'd like to run, and it turns out I have a stash of 6CA7 Hitachis and a pair of NOS RCAs so I'm set.

Question is, what changes to the ckt would you guys make to run these? Do you think 150v on G2 is too low? I'd like to make some power with this one.

Any suggestions?

Hide this!Advertise here!