• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Fisher 500c

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a couple of fisher 500c stereo receiver 's off of eBay... One was said to have been gone over by a technician and sounds great and I'm really enjoying it ... (Not quite as defined and gorgeous as a few of the SET amps I have , but pack a really great punch and a nice compromise) the other I brought in to get worked on and they replaced the caps and did pretty much an overhaul . This was done at Technetron in NYC.. Neither has any of the mods that I have heard people talk about to protect it from tubes blowing and causing catastrophic damage to say the transformer... My question is do I really need to do these mods? Am I pushing it by running these receivers without them... Any opinions?
Thanks
John

I'd very much recommend them. They can't hurt anything, they can only help. I have a Fisher 400 I'm getting ready to do some of these things to. It might run another 30 years just fine, or a tube might short out tomorrow and turn a great piece of equipment into a pile of parts. I really don't want that to happen to mine. They're expensive to replace these days. I already question the health of my power tubes because the coupling caps had gone bad and they had been running too hot for who knows how long, and they show it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.