• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

From old Philips tube books , just for tube audio DIY friends !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Old Tube & Semiconductor Manuals

OK, I did a little archeology and came up with the books illustrated below.

The older "RCA Receiving Tube Manual" is version RC-21, copyright 1961. The RC-26 version is copyright 1968. PDF copies of both of these are available on Pete Millett's "tubebooks.org" site: 1961 RCA RC-21 Receiving Tube Manual at < http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC-21.pdf >, and 1968 RCA RC-26 Receiving Tube Manual at < http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/rc26.pdf >.

I did NOT find the CBS-Hytron "Technician's Handbook" on Pete Millett's site. It is actually a comprehensive (approx 500 pages - but no page numbers!) receiving tube data manual from 1957. It doesn't have the theory, design notes, or sample circuits found in the GE or RCA manuals, though most of the tube types have "Typical Operation" data. It DOES include data for about a dozen early transistors, such as the 2N156.

Dale
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/RC-21.pdf

Attachments

• CBS_Tube_Manual_1957_Cover02.jpg
    CBS_Tube_Manual_1957_Cover02.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 149
  • CBS_Tube_Manual_Inside_Cover02.jpg
    CBS_Tube_Manual_Inside_Cover02.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 139
  • CBS_Tube_Manual_1957_2N156.jpg
    CBS_Tube_Manual_1957_2N156.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 131
  • RCA_Tube_Manual_1961_Cover02.jpg
    RCA_Tube_Manual_1961_Cover02.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 130
  • RCA_Tube_Manual_1961_Inside_Cover02.jpg
    RCA_Tube_Manual_1961_Inside_Cover02.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 127
  • RCA_Tube_Manual_1968_Cover02.jpg
    RCA_Tube_Manual_1968_Cover02.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 28

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
My gawd, it never ceases to amaze me how poorly understood even the basic principles of copyrights (and patents) are these days.

Creative commons is not an "act", it's simply a license one may apply to their own IP. And it certainly would not cover anything historical mentioned here.

Copyrights are used to protect ownership and to protect monetary value. If the copyright is still protecting any of these old tube data/manuals, I doubt it would be a problem with the copyright owner to publish it on the internet. There is [likely] no present day revenue value in these works to protect. I suspect if someone approached GE asking for permission to upload a protected 1954 tube manual, the answer from their lawyers would be "sure, but if you sell copies, or claim you own it, be prepared to have your butt kicked in court" (but that's just a guess on my part).

That sentiment does not necessarily apply to old books authored about subjects like tubes, for example something Norman Crowhurst wrote in the 1950's. If it's still protected by copyright, then there may certainly be value in it (as determined only by the copyright owner). Copyright validity would need to be investigated and if protected, permission (license) would have to be obtained (possibly purchased) before uploading (publishing) it.

As for the duration of copyright protection... it depends. Here's the US Copyright Office guide

..Todd

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.