• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Differences between 12V6 tube and 12A6 tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other than the lower power output, lower plate voltage and lower filament current requirement, is there any other difference between 12V6 and 12A6 tubes? :confused:
What would I have to do to substitute a 12A6 tube, in a circuit designed for a 12V6 tube?
I'm asking because I have stumbled upon a fair sized box of NOS 1945 Ken-Rad 12A6 tubes.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

THANKS!!
Steve

I cannot answer you directly but see if there's still a schematic for the (small) Stealth on MAD's site: Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design. I may still have the schematic that was obtainable from the site above.
There was a Stealth-6V6 that actually differed some, regarding B+, Rk and some other few parameters/components.

The Stealth got it's name as all tubes (12,6V) were metal tubes (black). The first model was based on 12A6 with 12SJ7 and 12SC7 as input- and driver tubes. Then came a model with 6V6.

I accidently stumbled of the MAD website and decided to get all the parts as the amp looked smart. The original was a monoblock thing, but I made a stereo version, dropping the tube rectifier.
Pics of my build here: STEALTH. Recently I have added another set of inputs, an iPod docking station and painted the transformers black.Still have some few wires to connect.
There's an answer to my question what other tubes can be used in DIYtubes (Darling) Clementine amp: diytube.com :: View topic - 1626, 6L6 ... what more?

Yeah, that Stealth Amp looks really, really nice!

I have a quad of NOS GE 12A6 metal case tubes that should be arriving today.
I'm good-to-go if I use them in an SE amp.
But in PP, I'm gonna have to dig up some proper PP OPT's.
I need to go the bargain route on a pair of PP OPT's, or the wife will smoother me while I'm sleeping, due to (her opinion) excessive spending on recent tube purchases!?

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.