• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Graphite ring on sweep tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
its actually a failure mechanism as the heater opens on the self destructing tube the tue still being fed by the horizontal oscillator (non flyback power type) it would go in the state of cold conduction and the oscillator signal is diving the cold conduction tube like a reflex klystron.

for the crt this is my ref:

CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

one of the main reasons why they went to scan derived voltages. another was the driver self destructed when the sweep tube heater opened.

Last edited:
The supply voltage for the horizontal "sweep tube" is between 200 and 300 volts. A peak voltage of up 5kV occurs on the Anode (plate) in normal (flyback) use. It cannot produce x-rays sufficiently hard to cause any problem.

Your reference actually says that they will measure the worst case, from any angle. That makes perfect sense, since safety is paramount. It also protects the sleeping cat under the TV from sterilisation:)

The reason for deriving the CRT final anode voltage from flyback was purely down to efficiency and cost.

I am interested in the feasibility of a Klystron/Magnetron fault mode as curiously enough, another way of stopping BK was to hold a magnet next to the valve in just the right position...

Since most domestic TV's, except some Russian ones from the 70's I've seen, use series heater chains, any open filament in that chain leads to a dead TV. Again down to cost.

Since most domestic TV's, except some Russian ones from the 70's I've seen, use series heater chains, any open filament in that chain leads to a dead TV. Again down to cost.

"It is important to remember that series heater TV sets were standard in the UK and Europe, whereas parallel heater designs were pretty much unique to Australia and about half of US sets... (I'm talking 1950's~1960's here)".
quoted from EL36: Applications in Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.