• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Water cooling Power Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look at the system linked to in Post #3. It actually describes something that would work and goes over the disadvantages of DI/distilled water, namely, that distilled water and, especially, de-ionized (DI) water will become contaminated by any metal in the coolant path. DI water is actually rather reactive -- one of the reasons it's recommended to not use DI water in automotive coolant systems. Once the water becomes contaminated with ions, it'll become more conductive. Then you have a death trap on your hands.

Do you have to dissipate all that power? Or could you run the tube at a different operating point and have it around for looks? What are you trying to do with it?

~Tom

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just received a bunch of Eimac 3c24's and they come w/ a warning sheet. One of the items on the sheet was "HOT WATER". It's all about how the water in the anode cooling system will be very hot!
I was hoping to find some images of what this cooling system would look like. The 3c24's do have a plate heatsink/cap. Crazy... water and HV tubes.......

But maybe in some applications they were water cooled?
No, never. Water cooling requires a water jacket. Not doable with these.
I suppose a less exciting/more logical answer is that this is a generic Eimac warning sheet that they put in w/ all their tubes.
Yup.

Edit: Be cautious with these. They tend to be gassy and may or may not degas successfully.

Last edited:
I'm no ham-guy, but I thought the old trick, for something like the 807, was to suspend the tube in oil.

The hot ticket just after WWII was indeed an 807 or a metal 6L6 upside down in mineral oil, often a gallon paint can. The Heathkit Cantenna was a dummy load made by mounting a 100 watt resistor in a paint can oil bath.

My high school experiments with water and metal 6L6's proved interesting.

I have a friend that is running several (8?) 2C39's in water on 1296 MHz to produce over a kilowatt of RF. He is applying 1800 volts directly to the plates which are in water. The entire cavity is hot with plastic hoses to the grounded radiator. The radiator is a heater core from a car. The water needs to be changed about every 2 months due to ion contamination. Changing interval is determined by "plate current" with the heaters cold. 1 or 2 mA is the limit because it will increase rapidly after that. He uses distilled water from the local grocery store.

Yes, it depends on the physical arrangement -to whit the water/bubbles may not be viewable - or the enclosure may not be vented and leakage through walls may be slower than generation which may lead to a slow but insidious creep up in H2 concentration.

Reaching LEL with an unrecognised ignition source has caught a few out in the past. Lead acid batteries have had their fair share of 'events', and I sadly laughed the other day when the news showed a 'blown out' front of a shop - they had placed an insecticide can 'bomb' in side to kill all the crawlies over night, but they shut up the shop too tightly and the refridgerator provided the spark source (it wasn't H2 but it was flammable with the right LEL) ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.