• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Toroid Output Transformer from Plitron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Designing a tube amp with an o/p tranny of 100Khz b/w requires some thought on the layout and type of tubes used; generally the response gets "stopped down" in the circuit well before that, otherwise with ex video b/w tubes it can become a perfect oscillator and will zap-up tweeters without hearing it.

I've come across many mistakes of UL amp builders simply swapping o/p trannies for wider b/w types with horrendous results. It isn't quite that simple as one/another o/p transformers have their own phase relationships with the circuit used. Hence if in doubt stay with a design that has been proven to work with a particular transformer, til one gathers more experience. Standard Push pull is certainly easier.

richy

I would not recommend using toroids with uncut cores (like plitron) unless they can be ac-feed.

This is common disbelief that toroids without fixed or distributed air gap can't tolerate small DC typical for any PP amplifier. Properly constructed PP toroid can handle small DC without any problem whatsoever. Cutting toroid core to make air gap basically kills almost all
of its advantages.
A pair of 60W PP toroids I designed can sustain 7mA of DC imbalance for each output vacuum tube.
Toroid SE transformers or DC chokes should have fixed or distributed air gap, however.

Any one ever build an amplifier with Plitron toroid output transformer? I download their specification sheet and found their high frequency is quite poor.

Plitrons have excellent top HF limit. However, top frequency is usually limited not by leakage inductance, but buy resonant frequency caused by leakage inductance and stray capacitance. Toroids usually have much higher stray capacitance compared to EI or double C core with comparable technical characteristics.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
common disbelief is that common, uncut toroid cores have a uniform airgap. They dont.
They consist of a coiled strip wich has a oxidlayer and windingdependend small but fluctating gaps. The manufacturer of the core has no way to controll this gaptolerances
in a way that would even come close to what is possible with a cut cut core.
Draw your own conclusions, and dont let you influence by statements like "7ma" wich is meaningless as such.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.