• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Colorful inspiration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I would share some pictures with you guys to get you inspired to build something this winter.

These amps were built by somebody who has been extremely helpful to me in my DIY misadventures.

They were built by a retired eBay seller named Lance Cochrane. His amps are very well regarded by those who have listened to them. His philosophy goes against the current for the most part, he built straight-up no B.S. amps. He learned to build from a practical standpoint rather then just mathematical, he let his ears decide what sounded good. His amps work good based on good sound electronic theory, rather then fancy exotic components.

If I had not stumbled upon him, I would not be in this hobby enjoying my DIY amp. I would have been dazed and confused by all the VooDoo that seems to surround HiFi and especially guitar amps. (Vintage caps anyone? WE silk wire? you know who you are.)

Anyhow his amps are no longer available, but if you want to read more about him click here: Master Builders: Lance Cochrane And Jim Nicholls Review By Dick Olsher

Time to break out the soldering irons boys and girls, get at it.

Try this again..

Attachments

• LC Flaming amp.JPG
    LC Flaming amp.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 466
  • LC Miss Scarlet.JPG
    LC Miss Scarlet.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 384
  • LC Rock of Gibralter.jpg
    LC Rock of Gibralter.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 385
The amps in the first pictures are the Flaming amp, Miss Scarlet, Rock of Gibralter, Earthquake, Blue boy and Amber room.

Here is a few more named Purple, Tangerine and the Black blunderbuss.

Attachments

• LC Black Blunderbuss.JPG
    LC Black Blunderbuss.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 145
  • LC Tangerine.JPG
    LC Tangerine.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 150
  • LC Purple.JPG
    LC Purple.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 229
I will mention that to him and pass on your compliments. He (Lance) lives in the Los Osos area, maybe he would go. I myself live a little to far away to make the trip, although you never know.

Here's a few more of a smaller caliber, Diagonal SE, Flying saucer and the Flying sorcerer.

Attachments

• LC SE amp.JPG
    LC SE amp.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 151
  • LC Flying saucier.JPG
    LC Flying saucier.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 143
  • LC Flying sorcerer.JPG
    LC Flying sorcerer.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 131
A friend of mine has an amp that's also built on a saucepan. The large dome at the rear is the cover cap from a big oxygen tank. A piece of it was cut out and welded back on inverted. (from inside) It fits over the power transformer with just enough snugness to hold itself in place. The OPTs are underneath.

Attachments

• saucepanamp.JPG
    saucepanamp.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 148
He does a really nice job too I might add. (Steve White)

These are two of my favorites that he built.

Check out the iron on those Mono-Blocs

Attachments

• Steve White 1.jpg
    Steve White 1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Steve White 2.jpg
    Steve White 2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Look nice, however, painting the transformers laminations and the tube sockets etc kind of looks naf.
I agree, whatever naf means. I like most of the layouts and looks, but I don't like the use of all the heavy paint jobs. Perhaps just the chassis and transformer end covers. Not the lams and not the bolts. Yes, it's extra work to seperate things when painting, but well worth it IMO.

A very valid opinion. I also took mine apart before coating with polyurea.

He built hundreds of amps and likely figured it was not worth the extra time for something strictly cosmetic. Just his style.

Also keep in mind you can't take a lot transformers apart, not even the bolts if they are potted in there.

Here is: Oooh la la, Miss Scarlet(Version 6), Green imperial and "05"

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 93
  • LC Green Imp.JPG
    LC Green Imp.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Miss Scarlet 006.JPG
    Miss Scarlet 006.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 170
  • LC Oooh LaLa.JPG
    LC Oooh LaLa.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 176
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.