• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 50EH5 Stereo Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased a old Magnavox Suitcase record player that came with a 50EH5 stereo amp. The amp has no transformer for isolation. I have been testing it with a variac and isolation transformer and the thing actually works fairly well. I traced the circuit for one channel, see attached picture.

I am not sure what the circled portions of the circuit do.

1. The .047 600V caps from RCA chassis to common ground and from common ground to chassis. Are these protection caps in lieu of a missing isolation transformer?

2. The 68K to the cathode of the 12ax7, is this Ripple NFB to minimize hum? There is very little hum in the amp.

3. The 220K in series with .002uf. This must be NFB. I am planning to install a permanent isolation transformer. Currently the speaker terminals of the output transformer are floating. Would GNFB from the output of the transformer be better?

If I wanted to bypass the tone controls, would I need to short the 47K in series with the .01uf blocking cap and lift the leg of the 1 meg pot connected to the pentode grid?

Thanks

Alfredo

Attachments

• magnavox 50eh5 amp.jpg
    magnavox 50eh5 amp.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 643
I changed the 12ax7 for a 12au7 and the gain is better matched for a ipod input. Thanks for the suggestion Planet 10.

Anyone willing to give it a shot describing the feedback in the circuit?

Took a picture after sawing off the record player portion of the unit. Now i am left with two equally sized speaker boxes (one with amp and controls) that closes like a clamshell using the original harware.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any tips on reducing hum in this amp? Replaced the PS caps and coupling caps, but there's still a nasty hum no matter which was the AC cord is oriented....

Also, the balance control is different than that shown above, mine sends the outputs of the cathodes of the 12AX7 to the balance control.

Would the cap between PS ground and chassis ground have a noticeable effect on hum? I typically remove "death caps," but that's in more common transformer-isolated amps.

Last edited:
Worked a bit more on the power supply, implementing a somewhat better layout / routing. The nasty hum is gone!

However, one side sounds fairly dull and lifeless compared to the other, and if I turn the balance control all the way to that side, it goes into high-freq oscillation.

I swapped tubes but no change. Moving the .05 cap between input and ground with a chopstick can quell the oscillation momentarily, so I'll focus on that next. Obviously this is not a PS issue as it's confined to one side only....

Hey, thanks for asking! Yes, I got it working and overall it sounds good, but the hum persists. So far as I can tell it's the "cheap potentiometer disease": It goes away at extreme low and high settings, but is present everywhere in the middle.

I would try something like a better-quality pot, but there's really no room in the chassis whatsoever. Think I bumped the pot value down from 1 meg to half that as well, but it's a while since I checked....

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...the "cheap potentiometer disease": It goes away at extreme low and high settings, but is present everywhere in the middle.....

That's not "cheap pot". It could be an unsuitably high-value pot.

Can you use a lower value pot? But this is brute-force "fix". 10X lower Ohms is 10X lower buzz, which is not really "a lot" of reduction. And puts more load on the source.

But the real issue is that crap is being induced in the wiper wire. At either extreme, crap is sucked-out by ground or by source. In the middle is worst.

So where does your wiper wire wander? Past transformers and line cord wiring? Is it shielded?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.