Advice needed on new 6L6 ro 6V6 SE or SET build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2011, 03:31 PM   #1
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Default Advice needed on new 6L6 ro 6V6 SE or SET build

Hi everyone, I have:

- a pair of 5K:8ohm Telefunken OPT's
-574V CT 1.26A (5V@4A, 6.3V@4.6A) Power transformer. (Magnavox salvage, if hooked up as original AMP142 schematics yields around 270DC.(2 x 5Y3, 1HY choke)

I have already built myself a PPP 6V6 stereao amp and I love it. Now I want to try my hand at a Single Ended build, see what all the fuss is about.

I'm not looking for crazy power, my other amp is pretty decent in that department. I don't really want a flea amp either. My understanding is that if I run a 6V6 or 6L6 in class A or triode or tetrode brings the power output down as compared to pentode mode.

I do have efficient speakers, and can play around with the ohms, if I need to reflect a change back to the amp (4,6,8 ohm etc) I can change or purchase speakers for it down the road, although it would be nice if I could have 8ohm taps.

I also notice the 6L6 requires around 280V in that scenario. I thought this might work well with my power transformer. Also notice it can use my 5K opt's

I worry if I run a single 6V6 SE and start playing around with tetrode or triode that it might be too shy on power, thus the 6L6 appeals to me.

I am trying to learn to use Duncans PSUD, aside from that I should be able to play with my voltage a bit. I have 5U4, 5Y3 or solid state diodes. (Also have less common rectifiers in my box.) Could even use a 6volt if needed.

What do you guys think 6V6 or 6L6? Looking for quality. I think the 6V6 might be the nicer sounding tube, maybe just to quiet- thus the 6L6 comes into play. I'm thinking I need around a 5w amp although I'm willing to try a little less for quality's sake.

Once I get that sorted out I have some small signal tubes here like: 6GH8,6SN7,6CG7,12**7, 6C4 etc.

AL
Old 18th November 2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Banned

Maybe I asked a common question. I'm starting to get some good results with some deeper googling.

Something along the lines of RH807 or a Tubelab ish SE sound good?
Old 18th November 2011, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't assume that your OPT's, which in the other thread you state are intended for 6BQ5 etc., can handle the extra DC current needed to get power out of a 6L6 or 807. Test this with a non-permanent setup first. If you want to play conservative then go for the 6V6's.
Old 18th November 2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Banned

OK thanks for the advice.
From the data sheets I see around 1.2 watts for class A triode SE connection. (6L6)

Do you think that setup would stress them too much?

My logic if it could handle a 6V6 at around 5w I should be OK with a low voltage 6L6.

I'm about 70/30 leaning towards the 6L6, just to build with a different tube and because I have a very beefy PT. Now I just remembered I have a PT from a 6V6 PP mono amp I may be able to use.
Old 18th November 2011, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloBug View Post
My logic if it could handle a 6V6 at around 5w I should be OK with a low voltage 6L6.
OK, well you're definately not getting the message, because if you bias the 6L6 for a lower plate voltage/higher cathode current operating point, you are making the situation worse and increasing the likelihood of OPT DC saturation. Maybe do a bit more reading up on the basics first.
Old 18th November 2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Banned

......and here comes the thread brake.

Well as I said I have various power supply options, up to about 425V.

Let's just relax, I'm just eyeballing the datasheets to get a game plan.
From some of the reading I have done it seems doable, no need for panic.

Do you have and schematics for an amp based on my first post?
Old 18th November 2011, 08:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why not try something like the RH84, just sub in the 6V6 and bias accordingly.

jeff
Old 18th November 2011, 08:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

^ +1
Old 18th November 2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Banned

+3 votes for 6V6 then.

Actually that's were I started. lol Full circle.

So would be looking at around 2 watts with the RH84 I think?

I suppose it's worth trying maybe a 6SN7/6V6 RH84 on a board and see how it sounds.

I strayed away from it just due to so many "needs very efficient speakers" and " a little bass shy" comments. I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

I do understand by the nature of SE it's bass shy vs. PP etc. Thought I might have been able to avoid that using the 6L6, and just go ahead and build the chassis etc. and tinker with it later.

Seems apparent I will have to try some stuff on a board first.
Maybe I'll start a thread on it. Thanks!

AL
Old 18th November 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you want to stay octal, 6SL7 and 6V6. The SL will give a better characteristic for the plate to grid feedback scheme

Hide this!Advertise here!