• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help me to build Vacuum Tube Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Friends,

I am obtaining four Russian made vacuum tube in a running condition. Now like to build a audio amplifier by those tubes. What should be the appropriate circuit diagram for the tubes mentioned below.

1) 6H2n (6N2P) .... 2 Nos.
2) 6n1n (6P1P)...... 1 No.
3) 6E1P (Magic Eye) ..1 No.

Dear Friends,

I am obtaining four Russian made vacuum tube in a running condition. Now like to build a audio amplifier by those tubes. What should be the appropriate circuit diagram for the tubes mentioned below.

1) 6H2n (6N2P) .... 2 Nos.
2) 6n1n (6P1P)...... 1 No.
3) 6E1P (Magic Eye) ..1 No.

One thing you need to know. The cost of building an amp with free tubes is only about 20% less than building one with brand new tubes. The other parts, especially the transformers cost more than the tubes so there is little advantage in "making do" with the tubes you happen to have at hand. Also at some point the tubes will need to be replaced so it is best to build the amp using tubes that you know will be available years from now.

OK, that said, let's see what you have,.... The 6n2p is a dual triodes, kind of like the 12ax7 and the other tube is a bit like a el84.

You could build a 5 to 8 watt guitar amp with those three tubes. Using all for sections of the 6n2p you'd have a good high gain preamp section. I'd suggest a design a lot like the AX84 projects "HO" Here is a good description of it
AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

With only one power tube whatever you build will have one channel (mono) and be limited to about 5W of power and of couse withone tube it is a "single ended" power amp.

Your next task is to find suitable transformers. These guys are pretty good, reasonable prices and good service.
Home - Musical Power Supplies Inc.- Quality Tube Amplifier Parts You CAN Afford
Look at their "OT10SE" and "PT190.2" transformers They would work with the above ax84 project

All that said, your tubes can be replaced with new production equivalents for about $35. That's what I would do.

If you want to build a stereo HiFi amp then you will need either 1 or 3 more of the 6P1P type. And three, not two transformers and you'd need something better then the OT10SE which while excelent for Guitar is not quite "HiFi". Both Hammon and Edcor make suitable parts

What is it you'd like to build? Do you have a budget? What experience/education do you have?

My suggestion if you are just getting into this hobby: Build something that is VERY well known and common and use EXACTLY the specified parts. Find a low powered and simple amp. Guitar amps are the best beginner projects because you can build a truely pro-quality amp and they have half as many parts. But if you can't play and don't want to learn you will likely prefer a stereo amp but they cost more than double

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.