• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Several hundred tubes found! What to do!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These tubes may contain hazardous substances and should be treated as if they were radioactive.

Looking at the picture this doesn't seem to be applicable to the OPs situation, but sometimes on eBay you see these big lots of old tubes sold, with some mercury vapor rectifiers in there, just thrown in a naked pile with other tubes, probably shipped with little padding (otherwise such a large amount of tubes couldn't be shipped in any reasonable way). It just makes me cringe.

Knowing what kind of stuff mercury is, it sometimes gives me pause to think that many of those estate kind of sellers really don't know what they've got, and if a MV tube had broken in the same space that the rest of the tubes are, I for one wouldn't be happy buying any of those tubes. Well, I buy tube lots anyway, it just makes me think sometimes. Knowledge is a burden and all that.

Looking at the picture this doesn't seem to be applicable to the OPs situation, but sometimes on eBay you see these big lots of old tubes sold, with some mercury vapor rectifiers in there, just thrown in a naked pile with other tubes, probably shipped with little padding (otherwise such a large amount of tubes couldn't be shipped in any reasonable way). It just makes me cringe.

Knowing what kind of stuff mercury is, it sometimes gives me pause to think that many of those estate kind of sellers really don't know what they've got, and if a MV tube had broken in the same space that the rest of the tubes are, I for one wouldn't be happy buying any of those tubes. Well, I buy tube lots anyway, it just makes me think sometimes. Knowledge is a burden and all that.

What a coincidence! I was just fixing to send you this pile of old tubes, but it looks like a couple MV tubes sneaked in. But now that I know you feel that way, I'll take them right to the hazardous collection dump. Sorry, OM!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.