• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Measuring bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you mean bias or idle current? These terms are often interchanged but have VERY different meanings. Idle current can be determined by measuring the voltage from cathode to ground, then dividing by the resistance from cathode to ground. Bias is the voltage between cathode and grid and can usually be measured directly.

Well, the adaptor I'm referring to is described to be used for bias. But in your terms it seems like I would like to test the idle current. What I want to check is that the autobias gives me a good working point - what ever that might be.

Terminology: You ARE setting bias. But you're MEASURING idle current, which is controlled by the bias voltage. And typically you don't care what the bias voltage is - you want to set an operating point at a specific current.

has a 1 ohm in series with the cathode. Would this affect any known autobias circuits so my measurements will be incorrect?

Yes the probe does change the bias and the results are not exact. But the error is on the order of about one quarter of one percent. So there is some error but it is trivial, to small to notice with most DMMs

To put this in perspective, in the tube era, before transistors, parts with tolerances better than 10% were rare.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.