• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

HELP! Capacitor specs for Sonic Frontiers SFC-1 Control Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Gang....I have a Sonic Frontiers SFC-1 Control Amplifier (4x EL34, 1x12AT7, 2x12AU7) that requires new main caps (circled in red on the attached pic).

While I have the voltage specs for these (450v) I have no idea how many uF.

There are no spec markings on the exterior of these huge can caps, save for a manufacturing number of 658 9302 319.

Anyone out there have any experience with these. Lots of owner's manual information but no service manual or schematics.

Thanks Leo

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 593
Gets the typical "thump" at speaker output after startup delay (signal output for five seconds) and then thumps again cutting out one channel, then another thump cutting out the other channel.

That seems to tell me the caps are energizing and discharging too quickly on startup and then losing whatever capacitance they have entirely. Yes ? No?

Thanks...got an e-mail from Chris Johnson but these caps remain a bit of a mystery...they are guessing somewhere between 1200-1500 uf at 350 volts but as these puppies will be tres-expensive I would like something a little more definitive. I know I can up the voltage capacity without any harm but the uf ratings would seem to be more critical to determine exactly.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
The cap value in uf isn't critical 1200-1500 uf range is fine. These caps would be less than $20.00 each at Digikey. I'd do the rest of the smaller electrolytics at the same time. Try to find a 105 C cap for longer life of the same value and physical diameter. Panasonics are a good bet.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Gets the typical "thump" at speaker output after startup delay (signal output for five seconds) and then thumps again cutting out one channel, then another thump cutting out the other channel.

That seems to tell me the caps are energizing and discharging too quickly on startup and then losing whatever capacitance they have entirely. Yes ? No?

Have you measured the power rails when this happens?
I would have thought that bad caps would cause hum and /or short..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Hi,
They look exactly the same as the SFS 40 power amp. main caps.
Value is 1700uF/300 V x 2 in series.

Yes you were right. Once I removed the caps the values were marked on the IC board. Replaced them with 1500uf/300 V x 2 in series but after working flawlessly for about 6 hrs...then a new problem and new symptoms....distortion ( mid-pitched motorboating) both channels.....

DF96 & M Gregg. Thks...for some reason I missed any notifications about your responses to this thread...as you know from previous posts I am (was) relatively inexperienced with Tube (Valve) DIY'selfing and have been working with that little SE EL84 Amp, which I used to replace my Sonic Frontiers Amp after it commenced acting so strangely.

I'll follow the investigative avenues you both suggest.....thanks again fellows!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.