Too much feedback? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 12:09 AM   #11
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

I don't know now, maybe I'm making too much of it, I guess we will see after you have a peek at the drawings. When I turn the volume up a little and give er some gas , I can't seem to notice it now.

I played some different songs at low volume, seemed to be noticeable on certain tracks.

The one song in particular was Benny Bennassi's "Satisfaction", in my defense I downloaded it after hearing it on a new episode of Beavis and Buthead. It's a neat tune.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Have you tried another source? Have you checked in the sound card and music player settings to confirm no compression/normalization is being applied? Is any EQ on the PC set to flat?
Old 15th November 2011, 04:13 AM   #13
Banned

I did try the different Dolby settings in windows media player, can't turn them off there.

I am using the EQ in iTunes and have the Sound Check enabled, not the enhancer though.

I suppose the Sound Check might be doing something. It makes all the songs the same over all volume. Not sure how it does it though, could be compressing.

I will try it tomorrow and see, too late to play tonight.

I will try it with my iPad in the AM.

AL
Old 16th November 2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Banned

Ya seems in the EQ.

The EQ kills the "airness" in general. I had not really played with the speakers since I built the amp. I EQ'ed it a bit to remove some of the "shout" from the 12" Jensen's in open baffle. Like I said it's a odd-ball speaker setup. I'm playing around with a few things.

I just assumed the EQ would just or raise the frequency etc. but it seems to be more complex then that.

I've been doing some other reading on iTunes "Sound Check", the option that apparently adjusts all your songs volume level, does have an effect on quality too.

I also will add my previous experience with the preamp slider in the EQ, it also introduces distortion if raised at all. Just like a guitar amp, lol.

So this got me off my but to setup some speakers. lol I will not be using ANY sound options at all, except I am stuck with Dolby on Windows Media Player.

Thanks for your Help.

I will post some schematics in another thread for any that are interested. I'm playing around drawing the schematics in Google Sketchup.

The other programs are not as intuitive to me as Sketchup, so I thought it would quicker. Al
Old 16th November 2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Banned

SUCCESS!! I was playing around with speaker setups today. I was having a problem getting it just right. Just for the heck of it I decided to check the polarity of all the speakers I was testing. Wouldn't you know it, The polarity was marked backwards on the 12" Magnavox/Jensens! No wonder I was noticing something strange related to the bass hit. The 12" open baffle was out of phase with the 8" Sansui in the ported box, and the other speakers.

So heres the setup now. I tried those black speakers you see in the picture below. They sounded like complete garbage. I did how ever mount the 12" Maggies in there.

Up top in the open baffle, I settled on a 10" pair of Jensens. Above that is a 4" Mid and a 3" Tweeter(Tesla) Everything is AlNico, the Mid and Tweeter have curved horn shaped cones.(Not Flat).

It was a discovery moment for sure, it sounded good before(heavily EQed) but it sounds absolutely AMAZING now. Goosebumps all over.
Obviously the bass has improved dramatically, going from 8" to 12" woofers, the 10"s sound great in the baffles, nothing forced about it. I really don't need the EQ, it sounds pretty flat (for a slapped together setup), although I did raise the bass a little for listening at quiet volume levels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 Magnavox.JPG (215.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Baffles.JPG (166.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 7th October 2012, 02:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Yup, it's usually right in front of you.

I do like that funky speaker set up.
Old 7th October 2012, 03:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

If you're applying gain with digital EQ then you will almost always end up with some sort of compression occurring at some point.

The signal level cannot exceed 0dBfs, so if you've applied 5dB of gain at 100Hz and along comes a piece of music that has 100Hz content at -2dB, then you're going to get compression occurring as the EQ program will either

1) Scale everything back by 3dB, so the 5 extra can still be applied - this will result in the sound getting subjectively quieter albeit very briefly.
2) Compress the 5dB boost down to only 2dB to prevent clipping - this will not affect the overall level of the sound.
3) Do nothing to prevent the signal level from exceeding 0dBfs and thus create digital clipping which sounds horrible.

Most Equalisers will have the option to normalise the levels, in which case say you apply 5dB at 100Hz, it will scale everything back by 5dB so that the 5dB of gain at 100Hz now sits at 0dBfs and everything else is at -5. Obviously if in doubt you can do this yourself by turning every other slider on the parametric equaliser down by 5dB instead of turning the 100Hz slider up by 5.

Hide this!Advertise here!