• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Affordable Valve Company - Re-bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya, thanks for reading.

I have a few amps, OTL, solid state and tube (tube being my preference by a country mile of course) and I need to re-bias my KT88 integrated amp after a valve change.

The readings aren't "too" different but I wanted to confirm with somebody in the know that these are the right adjustment points for the bias setting please (see pic).

I'll then plug the meter back in and adjust away.

Many thanks

Attachments

• AVC_KT88a.JPG
    AVC_KT88a.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
The values I've just checked are:

Left Rear 31.1
Left Front 34.7
Right Rear 31.4
Right Front 28.8

I suppose left rear and right rear look "matched" but i though the values for all would be higher that that anyway...

Am I talking sense or should I get someone else to sort this out, the procedure looks straightforward enough on the photo but I'm clearly dipping my toe in the water. I need to dig out a spec sheet to look for the required bias value and set all to that? (Electro Harmonix KT88)

Thanks
Nath

You're doing ok so far. As you say, you need the spec sheet and set each valve to the same bias current. Be aware that adjusting one valve can slightly alter the other of the same pair so you need to go through the op a couple of times leaving a settling period in between. Make sure you leave your speakers plugged in or use a dummy load and have the input unplugged.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Noted.

As for the settings I'm still a little blind, the company haven't written back with the values to use (I think they're funny as I didn't buy valves etc through them) but I'll keep looking.

I couldn't find Electro Harmonix spec sheets for KT88 but I'll look again.

All of the valves have "PC 81 TC 8" written on them.

Do I set the BIAS to 81 for all?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.