• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cheap Chinese Ebay Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

If anyone can offer thoughts it would be apreciated.

I would like to learn more about valve/tube amps and am thinking of buying one of two offerings on egay based on E34 SET.

EL34 6CA7 SE Single Ended Integrated Tube Amplifier
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I contacted the seller and he seemed quite ok, I asked him if it could be wired in true triode mode rather than UL - and he said no problem & said he could even do that for me. I also asked if it was PCB or hard wire, he said he could do a hard wire option. He also said a full circuit diagram would be sent. And sent me this link
http://www.askhowto.net/good.feedback/amplifier/by tube amplifier/A10/13.jpg

The other option was
HIFI Audio Tube Amplifier SE EL34B Amp DIY Kit Stereo | eBay
The seller couldnt offer any info on this regards UL or true triode.

The last option is a MD MC34-A07 EL34 Tube Int.& Power Amplifier
MD MC34-A07 EL34 Tube Int.& Power Amplifier | eBay

But that pushes the price up further.

My Objective of the amp is more to tinker with learn about power supplies and tube configurations ( I am experienced with electronics and am aware of the dangers ) Id like to change components & maybe replace the transformers over time for vintage ones - again more about expereince and interest than audio Nirvana.

The amp I really would like is the Decware SET34 - maybe I should just save up and look for a good price second hand one??

I feel electronics wise I could build a SEamp no probs - its just getting all the materials together and starting, the other thing I have major problems with is the metal and wood work - the electronics isnt a problem.

Anyones thoughts or oppinions to save me throwing money down the drain is greatfully recieved.

PS - my other amp is a Decware SE84C that I have modded and I listen through various full range ( fostex & TB ) speakers.

PPS - for my info and ANY ultra linear el34 amp be turned into triode mode? if someone can give me some info that would be great.

Thanks

Chris

wouldn't you be better off building any of the many kits/designs available on this forum, especially if you just want to learn? You would be throwing money down the drain regardless of which ebay amp you chose. People are constantly modifying them just to have them perform AS THEY SHOULD much less 'improve' them. You would basically be paying for the chassis.

I agree also. Shipping, import duties, not to mention trying to return it if there were a problem. Never cared for the SE thing myself. But I would start by scanning Ebay for some nice OPT's. Then a good power transformer from Antek and your halfway there. Rebuild a mediocre amp and you've a mediocre amp AND a hole in your pocket.

God no!

Stick with tubes. The P.P.P. 6CG7/6V6 in my avatar was built for about $175.

A mono console amp from the paper, another one from eBay. Toss it all in a cake pan with some mods and you have yourself a world class amp.

I was fortunate enough to mentor from Lance Cochran.
Without being too cocky, I would confidently compare this amp with ones that cost $5,000 - $15,000.

Hmmm....

Seller, 'Good-Feedback'.....

I recently bought a remote controlled vol-pot and input switching arrangement board from this guy.

It took somewhat longer than other Chinese suppliers (Which he claims to be) as it actually came from Singapore....

There was NO information at all with this set-up, which comprised two circuit-boards and a collection of leads, switches and other parts, No hook-up info at all, no paper-work, nothing.:mad:

I contacted the seller, and have had no replies yet....:rolleyes:

It is ONLY thanks to This forum that I was able to sort out the wiring for the two boards and get it working......:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.