• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Old HP transformer - what is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I retrieved an old transformer from a dead power supply

HP 9100-0181

Google is giving me nothing useful on this guy, can anyone tell me what the specs are? I've measured some voltages that are obviously for heaters (13.7 VAC), others are for B+ (815 VAC!!!)

I'm thinking maybe it's to be used with 110 VAC mains (13.7 VAC * 110/240 = 6.3 VAC)

Is it ok to use the primary with 240 VAC? Maybe the insulation on the secondaries won't survive a doubling of their voltage?

Thanks

If the primary was designed to operate at 110-125, I would not attempt to use it at 240.
What kind of power supply? What was the original configuration of the rectifiers?
Look at the high voltage capacitors in the original supply.
The voltage rating of the caps should give you a hint.

A transformer can be configured to handle either mains voltage, usually by having two primary windings (used in series or parallel). It would be very unusual for a 110V transformer to be so over-specified for magnetic saturation that it can used unchanged on 230V.

Understood, I've ditched any thought of using 240 VAC on the primary unless I get my hands on a spec explicitly okaying it. If none shows up, I'll consider the economics of an equally sized (it's 5.6 kg!!) mains step down transformer.

Can you measure the primary current when on 240V? A lamp limiter will give you a rough idea. If it takes low current when run without a secondary load, and doesn't get hot, then you may be able to use it.

I'll try this lamp limiter (when I can find an old style bulb :) ), but I'm still worried about insulation breakdown.

There's a second consideration for me, I was thinking of using this as a bench supply. If I have the primary on 110, then the (unloaded) secondary voltages are 82 VAC, 110 VAC, 216 VAC and 373 VAC. These look like better voltages for the circuits I'd likely experiment with, more useful than the 240 V primary voltages.

--edit
just noticed, if I use the 216 VAC as the primary winding, am I sorted?

Last edited:
It's times like this when it helps to have filing cabinets full of old Hewlett-Packard manuals. Your 9100-0181 transformer is the power transformer from an HP type 214A pulse generator. This used a good number of small tubes plus a pair if 7534's in parallel single ended operation for the output drive. The PS schematic is large, so I scanned it in two parts.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 220
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    737 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I retrieved an old transformer from a dead power supply

HP 9100-0181

Google is giving me nothing useful on this guy, can anyone tell me what the specs are? I've measured some voltages that are obviously for heaters (13.7 VAC), others are for B+ (815 VAC!!!)

I'm thinking maybe it's to be used with 110 VAC mains (13.7 VAC * 110/240 = 6.3 VAC)

Is it ok to use the primary with 240 VAC? Maybe the insulation on the secondaries won't survive a doubling of their voltage?

Thanks

By a strange coincidence I was removing this exact transformer today from a function generator. I am attaching a photo.

Attachments

• hp9100-0181.jpg
    hp9100-0181.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 124
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Excellent stuff mariner4, those specs are suggesting a stereo push-pull amp to me... gotta love the manufacturing standards that the relevant info is perfectly preserved after several decades. I wonder how many of these function generators they sold....

Looks like a pretty good transformer for that purpose and should be quite quiet in operation..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.